Help Me Solve the Golden Ratio Question

In summary, the conversation is about finding the golden ratio and using similar rectangles to calculate it. The formula for the golden ratio is x = (1 + √5)/2 * y.
wrightarya
Question is attached.
I don't know how to find the golden ratio

I really did try to solve this one, but i couldnt
please please help me out

Attachments

• Untitled picture 2.png
    Untitled picture 2.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 54
Mathematics news on Phys.org
wrightarya said:
Question is attached.
I don't know how to find the golden ratio

I really did try to solve this one, but i couldnt
please please help me out

Call length AB = x and BC = y. Since AYXD is a square, that means length YB = x - y. Because the two rectangles are similar, their sides are in proportion, so

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{x}{y} &= \frac{y}{x - y} \\ x \left( x - y \right) &= y^2 \\ x^2 - x\,y &= y^2 \\ x^2 - x\,y + \left( -\frac{y}{2} \right) ^2 &= y^2 + \left( -\frac{y}{2} \right) ^2 \\ \left( x - \frac{y}{2} \right) ^2 &= \frac{4y^2}{4} + \frac{y^2}{4} \\ \left( x - \frac{y}{2} \right) ^2 &= \frac{ 5y^2}{4} \\ x - \frac{y}{2} &= \frac{\sqrt{5}\,y}{2} \\ x &= \frac{y + \sqrt{5}\,y}{2} \\ x &= \left( \frac{1 + \sqrt{5}}{2} \right) \, y \end{align*}$

Last edited:

What is the golden ratio?

The golden ratio is a mathematical concept that refers to a proportion of approximately 1.618, which is believed to be aesthetically pleasing. It is often represented by the Greek letter phi (φ) and is found in many natural and man-made designs.

How do you calculate the golden ratio?

The golden ratio can be calculated by dividing a line into two parts so that the longer part divided by the smaller part is equal to the whole length divided by the longer part. This can also be expressed as the equation (a+b)/a = a/b = φ.

What is the significance of the golden ratio?

The golden ratio has been studied by mathematicians, scientists, and artists for centuries due to its perceived aesthetic appeal. It can be found in many aspects of nature, such as the proportions of the human body, and has been used in art and architecture throughout history.

What are some real-life applications of the golden ratio?

The golden ratio has been used in art and design, such as in the composition of paintings and the layout of websites. It is also used in architecture, with many famous buildings incorporating the golden ratio into their design. Additionally, the golden ratio has been studied in fields such as music, biology, and finance.

How can the golden ratio be solved?

There are various methods for solving equations involving the golden ratio, such as using the quadratic formula or simplifying the equation using algebraic properties. Additionally, there are many online calculators and apps available that can quickly solve equations involving the golden ratio.