Fibonacci Series and Golden Ratio Explained

• I
  • Thread starter Kevin McHugh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary: I would have found this information.In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the Fibonacci sequence and the golden ratio. It is shown that the ratio of two consecutive Fibonacci numbers converges to the golden ratio, and this is further explained through mathematical connections and examples. The conversation also mentions the option of researching more about this topic online.
Kevin McHugh
I'm not sure this is the right forum, so if not, please move to the appropriate forum. My question is why does the ratio of two consecutive fibonacci numbers converge to the golden ratio? I see no mathematical connection between the series ratios and ratios of a unit line segment divided into two unequal segments. .

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can show that
(a) if two positive real numbers have this ratio, then their sum and the larger number have this ratio again
(b) if the ratio is larger, then the ratio of the sum and the larger number is smaller, and vice versa
(c) that the difference to the golden ratio always decreases in the cases of (b)

The Fibonacci sequence is defined by ##F(n+1)=F(n)+F(n-1)## and therefore
$$ \frac{F(n+1)}{F(n)}= \frac{F(n)+F(n-1)}{F(n)} = 1 + \frac{F(n-1)}{F(n)} $$
and the golden ratio is defined by
$$ \frac{a+b}{a}=\frac {a}{b} =: \varphi $$
If the Fibonacci sequence converges to ##\Phi##, then ##\Phi = 1 + \frac{1}{\Phi}##.

You may try and find out why ##\Phi = \varphi## or read the following passage:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio#Relationship_to_Fibonacci_sequence

Thank you gentlemen. I guess I should have searched the internet first,

1. What is the Fibonacci series?

The Fibonacci series is a sequence of numbers where each number is the sum of the two preceding numbers, starting with 0 and 1. The series goes like this: 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, and so on.

2. What is the significance of the Fibonacci series?

The Fibonacci series has many real-life applications, including in mathematics, nature, and art. It is often used to model growth and patterns in nature, such as the arrangement of leaves on a stem or the spiral shape of a seashell.

3. What is the Golden Ratio?

The Golden Ratio, also known as the divine proportion, is a mathematical ratio of approximately 1.618. It is found in many natural and man-made structures, and is believed to be aesthetically pleasing to the human eye.

4. How is the Golden Ratio related to the Fibonacci series?

The ratio between two consecutive numbers in the Fibonacci series gets closer and closer to the Golden Ratio as the series goes on. For example, the ratio between 8 and 13 is approximately 1.625, which is very close to the Golden Ratio of 1.618.

5. Are there any other interesting properties of the Fibonacci series and Golden Ratio?

Yes, there are many interesting properties, including the fact that the ratio of consecutive Fibonacci numbers approaches the Golden Ratio as the numbers get larger. Additionally, the inverse of the Golden Ratio (1/1.618) is also equal to the Golden Ratio minus 1 (0.618). This is known as the Golden Ratio conjugate.