How Long Does It Take for One Car to Overtake Another?

• Thread starter Demio Crush
  • Start date
In summary: Demio here.In summary, the car traveling at constant speed 20m/s overtakes the car which is moving at constant acceleration of 2 m/s^2 and it's initially at rest. The total road distance used in overtaking is 20 - 2t. With this information, the equation for t can be solved by formula method. However, for my method 2 variables are unknown, so I had to use a quadratic equation to solve it. Been trying this problem for past 2 hours and I'm really struggling. Can you help me out?
Demio Crush
question : a car traveling at constant speed 20m/s overtakes another car which is moving at constant acceleration of 2 m/s^2 and it’s initially at rest . assume the length of each car to be 5 meters . thetotal road distance used in overtaking is ...

my attempt : for overtaking , t = distance between car 1 and car 2 + 5+5+5 / 20-2t
20-2t is the average velocity .

with this I get a quadratic equation , which I had to solve by formula method . But , for my method 2 variables are unknown .

Been trying this problem for past 2 hours . help please . I'll be really glad .:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Demio Crush said:
question : a car traveling at constant speed 20m/s overtakes another car which is moving at constant acceleration of 2 m/s^2 and it’s initially at rest . assume the length of each car to be 5 meters . thetotal road distance used in overtaking is ...

my attempt : for overtaking , t = distance between car 1 and car 2 + 5+5+5 / 20-2t
20-2t is the average velocity .

with this I get a quadratic equation , which I had to solve by formula method . But , for my method 2 variables are unknown .

Been trying this problem for past 2 hours . help please . I'll be really glad .:smile:

Doesn't the problem give the initial distance between two cars?

Hi Demio, welcome to PF :smile: !

Please use the template. Its use is mandatory in PF; check the guidelines to see why.

Make a few sketches to judge the situation. Position of the front of car 1 and 2 as a function of time. The identify the variables you need to describe it and collect enough equations to solve. If there are two unknowns, there must be two equations as well, or else you can't solve it.

C. Lee said:
Doesn't the problem give the initial distance between two cars?
It does.

Define "overtakes." I would say it means "gets ahead by a nose" or basically side-by-side.
Tip: Reserve t for time. Use s or x for distance.

Demio ?

What is the best approach to solving this problem?

The best approach to solving a problem is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Start by identifying the main issue and then brainstorming possible solutions. Once you have a list of potential solutions, evaluate each one and choose the most logical and feasible option.

How can I get help with this problem?

There are several ways to get help with a problem. You can reach out to a mentor or colleague for advice, do research online, or consult a textbook or manual. It's also helpful to discuss the problem with others to get different perspectives and potential solutions.

What should I do if I get stuck on a problem?

If you get stuck on a problem, take a break and come back to it later with a fresh perspective. Sometimes stepping away from the problem can help you see it in a new light. You can also try breaking the problem down into smaller parts or seeking guidance from a peer or mentor.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Improving your problem-solving skills takes practice and patience. You can start by actively seeking out and solving problems, no matter how small. Reflect on your thought process and approach to each problem and look for ways to improve. It's also helpful to learn from others and seek feedback on your problem-solving abilities.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when trying to solve a problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a problem include jumping to conclusions without fully understanding the problem, not considering alternative solutions, and not seeking help or guidance when needed. It's important to keep an open mind and be willing to try different approaches, even if they may seem unconventional.