Help naming matrices in matlab

In summary, the speaker has created a program in MatLab for LU factorization, but needs to implement a routine to automatically run the program on all six matrices (A1-A6). They are wondering if there is a way to use a loop to change the input matrix. However, using the notation A(i) does not work and the speaker suggests looking into the sprintf() function and using the struct data type. They also mention that writing out the code as a list rather than using loops may make the program faster.
TimFys
I have created a program in MatLab doing LU factorization and need to implement a routine, so that MatLab automatically runs the program on all of my matrices.

I have 6 matrices A1, A2, A3, A4, A5 and A6. But for the time being I can only run the program for one matrix, write the result down and then change the input matrix.

Is there a smart way of making a loop so that MatLab automatically changes the input matrix?

The notation A(i) does not work, since it refers to the elements in the matrix.

Physics news on Phys.org
look at sprintf() to write the variables then allocate A1 = zeros(x,x);

Matlab is faster if you do not use loops, but write out the code as a list

A1 = ...
A2 = ...

etc...

You can define a three-dimensional array A(l,m,n) so that one of your indices (I forget which one it is) points to the different matrices in a loop.

you might want to check out 'struct' (in conjunction with 'sprintf').

Thank you for reaching out for assistance with naming matrices in MatLab. I understand the importance of efficiency and automation in our work. In order to implement a routine that automatically runs your program on all of your matrices, I would recommend using a loop. This will allow MatLab to iterate through each of your matrices and run the program on each one.

To do this, you can create a vector containing the names of your matrices (e.g. A = [A1, A2, A3, A4, A5, A6]). Then, you can use a for loop to iterate through each element in the vector and use it as the input for your program. For example:

for i = 1:length(A)
% run your program using A(i) as the input
end

This way, MatLab will automatically change the input matrix for each iteration of the loop. I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions. Best of luck with your program!

Related to Help naming matrices in matlab

1. How do I name a matrix in MATLAB?

To name a matrix in MATLAB, you can use the assignment operator (=) to assign a name to the matrix. For example, if you have a matrix called "A", you can type "A = [1 2; 3 4]" to create a 2x2 matrix and assign it to the name "A".

2. Can I change the name of a matrix in MATLAB?

Yes, you can change the name of a matrix in MATLAB by using the assignment operator (=) to assign a new name to the matrix. For example, if you want to change the name of matrix "A" to "B", you can type "B = A" to assign the matrix to the new name "B".

3. Is it necessary to name a matrix in MATLAB?

No, it is not necessary to name a matrix in MATLAB. You can still perform operations on a matrix without assigning it a name. However, assigning a name can make it easier to refer to the matrix in your code.

4. What are the rules for naming matrices in MATLAB?

There are a few rules for naming matrices in MATLAB. First, the name must start with a letter, followed by any combination of letters, digits, and underscores. The name cannot contain any spaces or special characters. Additionally, MATLAB is case-sensitive, so "A" and "a" would be considered two different matrix names.

5. Can I use a variable as a matrix name in MATLAB?

Yes, you can use a variable as a matrix name in MATLAB. This can be useful if you want to dynamically name matrices based on certain conditions in your code. Just make sure the variable follows the naming rules mentioned in question 4.