Help needed in sign of area element -- how do we take sign

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of Stokes's and Gauss's theorems in solving a problem involving surface and line integrals. The sign of the area element is determined by the orientation of the surface and boundary, and in Gauss's theorem, the surface normal vectors always point out of the volume being integrated over. The specific problem being discussed involves checking the divergence theorem and considering the direction and sign of the surface normal vectors.
core1985
Moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing
Hello
I just want to ask that in problem 1.54 why the sign of area element da is negative how do we predict signs in spherical coordinates unit vectors can anybody tell me the rule I have only trouble in sign like in left face it is negative what rule do we use for this negative sign

Attachments

• p1.png
    p1.png
    45.1 KB · Views: 301
  • p2.png
    p2.png
    45.8 KB · Views: 355
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you do not look at the solution to the problem. While in the problem it's about Stokes's theorem, while the solution rather looks like an application of Gauss's theorem.

In Stokes's theorem you map a surface integral of the curl of a vector field to the line integral along its boundary. The surface and the boundary must be oriented positively relative to each other, i.e., such that when using the right-hand rule, when pointing with the fingers of your right hand in the direction of the boundary curve the thumb should point in the direction of the surface-normal element. Then for a vector field ##\vec{V}## you have
$$\int_{A} \mathrm{d}^2 \vec{F} \cdot (\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{V})=\int_{\partial A} \mathrm{d} \vec{r} \cdot \vec{V}.$$

In Gauss's theorem you have a volume ##V## is boundary ##\partial V##. The surface normal vectors by definition always point out of the volume you integrate over. Then for a vector field ##\vec{V}## you have
$$\int_{V} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{r} \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{V}=\int_{\partial V} \mathrm{d}^2 \vec{F} \cdot \vec{V}.$$
If you want more detailed answers to the specific problem, please post (with correct references/scans to the problem) in the homework forum!

No it is about checking divergence theorem I just want to know that should I consider this in left face of fig 1.48 that it is in theta and r and direction is - phi sue to it is place and here we shall take -y direction and that's why da = -dr r d theta (-ev phi direction)

So, it's about problem 1.53? Then you have to point the surface normal vectors out of the volume you integrate over. What I can see from the solution seems to be correct.

Related to Help needed in sign of area element -- how do we take sign

1. What is the area element?

The area element is a mathematical concept that represents the infinitesimal change in area of a surface. It is used in calculus to calculate surface integrals.

2. Why do we need to take the sign of the area element?

The sign of the area element is important because it indicates the orientation of the surface. In some cases, the positive or negative sign can affect the final result of a surface integral.

3. How is the sign of the area element determined?

The sign of the area element is determined by the direction in which the surface is traversed. If the surface is traversed in a counter-clockwise direction, the sign is positive. If the surface is traversed in a clockwise direction, the sign is negative.

4. Can the sign of the area element be negative?

Yes, the sign of the area element can be negative. This typically occurs when the surface is traversed in a clockwise direction or when the orientation of the surface is flipped.

5. How do we use the sign of the area element in calculations?

The sign of the area element is used in the formula for calculating surface integrals. It is multiplied by the function being integrated to account for the orientation of the surface. If the sign is negative, it indicates that the direction of integration should be reversed.