Ansys Maxwell Contact Resistances

In summary, the forum member is seeking advice on how to incorporate measured contact resistances into their 3D design Eddy Current Simulation in Maxwell 16.2. They plan to use the Joule losses from the simulation as input for a CFD software and compare the results to laboratory test data. The solution is to use the Custom Materials feature to define the material properties, including the contact resistances, and assign them to the relevant parts of the design. The forum member is also advised to consult the documentation and tutorials for more detailed instructions.
megaccount
Hello everyone,

I am using Maxwell 16.2 with no chance to get an update.

I want to do a 3D design Eddy Current Simulation to find out the Joule losses of my single phase GIS design.

An important factor for the joule losses that I need to insert is the contact resistances of the several current carrying alluminium bars.
The contact resistances were measured in real life with an Ohmmeter and I would like to to insert them in Maxwell. How do I do that?

The Joule losses are then used as an input to an CFD software. The final objective is to use to compare the temperature rise of the GIS from the simulation and laboratory test.

Thank you in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. In order to incorporate the measured contact resistances into your Maxwell 16.2 simulation, you will need to use the Custom Materials feature. This feature allows you to define the material properties of your design, including the contact resistances, and input them into your simulation.

To do this, you will first need to create a new material in Maxwell using the Custom Materials option. Then, you can input the contact resistances as the material properties for your design. Once this is done, you can assign this material to the relevant parts of your design and run the simulation.

I would also recommend checking the documentation and tutorials for Maxwell 16.2 for more detailed instructions on how to use the Custom Materials feature.

Best of luck with your simulation and comparison with laboratory test results.

1. What is Ansys Maxwell Contact Resistances?

Ansys Maxwell Contact Resistances is a feature within the Ansys Maxwell software that allows for the simulation and analysis of contact resistances between two or more conducting surfaces.

2. How does Ansys Maxwell Contact Resistances work?

Ansys Maxwell Contact Resistances uses a finite element method to calculate and analyze the electrical contact resistances between the conducting surfaces. It takes into account factors such as material properties, surface roughness, and contact pressure to accurately simulate the behavior of contact resistances.

3. What are the benefits of using Ansys Maxwell Contact Resistances?

Some benefits of using Ansys Maxwell Contact Resistances include the ability to accurately predict the behavior of contact resistances, optimize designs to minimize contact resistances, and identify potential failure points due to excessive resistances.

4. Can Ansys Maxwell Contact Resistances be used for all types of contact resistances?

Ansys Maxwell Contact Resistances is primarily used for electrical contact resistances, however it can also be used for other types of contact resistances such as thermal and mechanical contact resistances.

5. Are there any limitations to Ansys Maxwell Contact Resistances?

Ansys Maxwell Contact Resistances is a powerful tool, but it does have some limitations. It may not accurately simulate contact resistances in highly complex geometries, and it relies on accurate input data for material properties and surface conditions.