Help Needed on Architecture Beam Calculations with CSC Tedds

In summary, the speaker is a student of architecture who is struggling with load factors while working on simple beam calculations. They are trying to input data into a calculation software but are confused about what loading information to use. They have tried using total dead and imposed loads without load factors, but the software is not giving the same results as their manual calculations. They are seeking guidance on what the load factors for dead and imposed mean and if they need to use them in their calculations. Eventually, the speaker figures out the issue on their own.
eliasuk98
hi, not sure if I am posting in the right section, had a good look through the search option but cannot find what I am looking for, probably because I am being stupid..

im working on some simple beam calculations, I am a studying architecture, however I am trying to get my head round load factors..

if i have a 2 storey building and i want to remove a facing wall say 5.0 in length this is how i would calculate the load on the beam

Dead load
1. area of wall it will carry in this case 5m x 3m high wall x 4.4kn/m2 (load for 240mm brick wall with plaster.

2. floor 5m x 2.5 (half of floor distribution onto beam) x 2.05kn/m2

3. roof 5m x 2m x 1.19kn/m2

then the imposed loads on the roof

my question is, I am trying to input this data onto CSC Tedds calculation software and I am confused as to what loading information i should input .. i would assume i would put total dead and total imposed loads by multiplying the width by height by load of material which i have tried..

however it fails the beam size that has been approved manually. i believe I am doing something wrong with the data input as Tedds has load factors of 1.6 and 1.4 which i did not use any load factors when working out manually.. can somone guide me as to what the load factors for dead and imposed means? do i need to use these if i have worked out the total udl with the example above?

thank you so much in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
its cool guys i figured it out.. thanks

1. What is CSC Tedds and how does it help with architecture beam calculations?

CSC Tedds is a software program that is specifically designed for performing structural calculations in the field of engineering and architecture. It provides a user-friendly interface for inputting data and performing complex calculations, making it easier and more efficient to determine the structural integrity of beams in a building design.

2. What types of calculations can be performed using CSC Tedds for architecture beams?

CSC Tedds has a wide range of built-in calculations and templates for various types of beam designs, including simple beams, continuous beams, and composite beams. It can also perform calculations for beam deflection, shear forces, and bending moments.

3. Is CSC Tedds suitable for all types of architectural projects?

Yes, CSC Tedds is suitable for a variety of architectural projects, including residential, commercial, and industrial buildings. It can handle both simple and complex beam designs, making it a valuable tool for architects and engineers in any project.

4. How accurate are the results obtained from CSC Tedds for beam calculations?

CSC Tedds uses advanced algorithms and formulas to perform calculations, ensuring a high level of accuracy in the results. However, it is always recommended to double-check the calculations and consult with a structural engineer for any critical design decisions.

5. Can CSC Tedds also generate reports and documentation for beam calculations?

Yes, CSC Tedds has a report generator feature that allows users to generate detailed reports and documentation for their beam calculations. This feature can save time and improve the efficiency of the design process by automatically generating professional-looking reports based on the input data and calculated results.