Help Needed: Physics Problem w/ Elevator & Goldfish Tank

In summary, the pressure in the tank of water will increase when the elevator car accelerates upwards and decrease when it accelerates downwards. This is due to the net force acting on the water, which is equal to the force of gravity minus the force of acceleration. The gauge pressure is affected by this net force and will be greater when the car accelerates upwards and lesser when it accelerates downwards. When the car is in a state of free fall, the gauge pressure will be zero.
alonzo
Hi! I have a physics problem that I just don't understand. It is as follows:

Imagine that you are in an elevator with a tank of water and three goldfish. A device in the gravel (of the fish tank) measures gauge pressure at the bottom at the tank.
(a) Suppose it reads 4000 N / m² with the elevator car at rest. Will it increase, decrease, or stay the same when the car accelerates upwards? Explain.
(b) What will it read if the car drops at 9.8 m / s²?

I know about pressure in relation to fluids at rest but I'm not sure what happens when the fluid is accelerated upwards or downwards. I also understand that gauge pressure is absolute pressure minus atmospheric pressure.
Please help - thanx! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
The pressure recorded is due to the water and is given by
P =hdg;
where h is the height of the water, d is the density of the water and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

Now, d, the density =m/v,
where m is the total mass of the water and v is the total volume.

Therefore, P=[(hmg)/v]

Now, you probably realize that the 'mg' in the expression is the force due to gravity on the water.

If you now consider the case where the car is accelerating upwards (say with a force F), then then net force acting on the water will be [mg-F].

So, your new pressure will be P=[(h(mg-F))/v]

Therefore, the pressure registered on the gauge will be less than 4000Pa

Using a similar reasoning you can get to the answer to the second part of your question

I'm getting a different sign than you are Crumbles. If the elevator is accelerating upwards, this should mean the pressure registered on the gauge is greater, not lesser, should it not?

An elevator accelerating upwards should be no different than having a gravity equal to mg_earth + F.

Set me straight if I am incorrect.

alonzo said:
Hi! I have a physics problem that I just don't understand. It is as follows:

Imagine that you are in an elevator with a tank of water and three goldfish. A device in the gravel (of the fish tank) measures gauge pressure at the bottom at the tank.
(a) Suppose it reads 4000 N / m² with the elevator car at rest. Will it increase, decrease, or stay the same when the car accelerates upwards? Explain.
(b) What will it read if the car drops at 9.8 m / s²?

I know about pressure in relation to fluids at rest but I'm not sure what happens when the fluid is accelerated upwards or downwards. I also understand that gauge pressure is absolute pressure minus atmospheric pressure.
Please help - thanx! :smile:

Think. What makes the water in the tank accelerate upward with "a"? A net force, equal to m*a. This force is the resultant of the downward force due to gravity , -m*g, the upward normal force Fn from the bottom of the tank and the downward force due to the atmospheric pressure, -A*Po, where A is the cross-section are of the tank. So m*a = Fn-m*g-A*Po.
The gauge pressure P read by the device at the bottom of the tank is equal to the normal force per unit area minus the atmospheric pressure.
P = Fn/A-Po = m*(a+g)/A.
The pressure increases if the elevator accelerates upward (and so does the tank together with it). It decreases in the opposite case. When the elevator is in the state of free fall, you feel "weightless" and so does the water in the tank: a=-g, P=0. (As there is no air between the water and the bottom of the tank, Fn must balance the outer pressure, and the gauge pressure is zero.)

ehild

Locrian said:
I'm getting a different sign than you are Crumbles. If the elevator is accelerating upwards, this should mean the pressure registered on the gauge is greater, not lesser, should it not?

An elevator accelerating upwards should be no different than having a gravity equal to mg_earth + F.

Set me straight if I am incorrect.

Yes, I apologise, you are actually right, the pressure must be greater when the car is accelerating up. I've just spotted where I went wrong. It was in the sign of the forces:

Your new pressure will be P=[(h(mg-F))/v]

But F is in the opposite direction to mg so it's actually P=[(h(mg-(-F)))/v], which is P=[(h(mg+F))/v] and therefore the pressure will be greater.

Related to Help Needed: Physics Problem w/ Elevator & Goldfish Tank

1. How does the elevator affect the goldfish tank?

The elevator can affect the goldfish tank in several ways. The change in altitude as the elevator moves up or down can cause the water level in the tank to rise or fall, potentially causing stress to the goldfish. Additionally, the movement of the elevator can create vibrations that can disturb the fish and affect their behavior and health.

2. What factors should be considered when solving this physics problem?

When solving this physics problem, several factors must be taken into account. These include the weight of the goldfish tank, the weight of the water and goldfish inside the tank, the dimensions and material of the tank, and the speed and acceleration of the elevator. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also play a role in the problem.

3. How can the safety of the goldfish be ensured during elevator use?

To ensure the safety of the goldfish during elevator use, proper precautions should be taken. This may include securing the tank to prevent it from tipping over, minimizing sudden movements or acceleration of the elevator, and avoiding overcrowding the tank with too many fish. It may also be helpful to monitor the fish and their behavior during elevator use and make adjustments as needed.

4. Can the physics principles involved in this problem be applied to other situations?

Yes, the physics principles involved in this problem can be applied to other situations. Any scenario involving the movement of an object in an enclosed space, such as a car or plane, can be analyzed using similar principles. The weight and balance of the object, the forces acting upon it, and the effects of acceleration and motion will all play a role in determining the outcome.

5. How can this physics problem be solved?

This physics problem can be solved by using the principles of Newton's laws of motion and the equations of motion. First, the weight of the tank and its contents should be calculated. Then, the forces acting upon the tank, including the force of gravity and any external forces, should be determined. Finally, using the equations of motion, the acceleration and motion of the tank can be calculated and used to predict the behavior of the tank and its contents during elevator use.