Help Needed! Simulating PID Controller in Simulink - Mark's Project

In summary, the conversation is about a student working on a temperature control project and seeking guidance on simulating a controller in Simulink. They have some questions about the basics of making a Simulink model, creating the best model, and simulating the plant. A suggestion is given to write the code in a more familiar language like C and to incorporate hysteresis in the system for better response.
mark.strong
Hello

I'm a student working on a project in temperature control. I have to investigate some of the properties of a standard PID controller. Sadly my project supervisor is not very helpful and I was hoping somebody here could offer me a litte guidance. I would like to simulate my controller in Simulink to see if my mesured results match up to what the simulation predicts. However my knowledge of Simulink is very basic and so I'm not making much progress. I had the following questions:

What are th basics that one needs to keep in mind to make a simulink model?
How can I make the best model in simulink?
How do I simulate the plant in simulink?

Any ideas/tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mark

Engineering news on Phys.org
Recommend just writing it in C or something you're more familiar with. Here is your pseudo-code:

previous_error = 0
integral = 0

start:
error = setpoint - actual_position
integral = integral + (error*dt)
derivative = (error - previous_error)/dt
output = (Kp*error) + (Ki*integral) + (Kd*derivative)
previous_error = error
wait(dt)
goto start

You can play with Kp, Ki, and Kd to tune the system for good response. Remember, if you are simulating a temperature control system, you won't want it constantly cycling, so you will also want hysteresis in your system (i.e. leave it on too long, and leave it off for too long so that you don't break the darn thing).

1. What is a PID controller?

A PID (Proportional-Integral-Derivative) controller is a type of control system that is used to regulate a process by continuously adjusting a control variable based on the difference between the desired setpoint and the current output of the process.

2. How does a PID controller work?

A PID controller uses three components - proportional, integral, and derivative - to calculate an output value that will minimize the error between the desired setpoint and the current output of the process. The proportional component adjusts the output in proportion to the error, the integral component sums up past errors and adjusts the output accordingly, and the derivative component predicts future errors and adjusts the output to prevent overshoot.

3. Why is a PID controller useful?

A PID controller is useful because it can accurately and continuously adjust a control variable to maintain a desired setpoint, even in the presence of disturbances or changes in the process. It is also a widely used and well-understood control method that can be easily implemented in various applications.

4. What is Simulink?

Simulink is a graphical programming environment developed by MathWorks that is used for modeling, simulating, and analyzing dynamic systems. It is commonly used in engineering and science fields to simulate and test control systems, signal processing algorithms, and other complex systems.

5. How can I simulate a PID controller in Simulink?

To simulate a PID controller in Simulink, you can use the PID Controller block, which is a built-in Simulink block that implements a PID controller algorithm. You can also customize the PID controller parameters and tune them to your specific application using the block's properties. Additionally, there are many tutorials and resources available online that can guide you through the process of simulating a PID controller in Simulink.