What Is the Maximum Velocity of a RWD Vehicle on a 6% Grade?

In summary, the problem requires determining the maximum velocity attainable by a vehicle under specific conditions, including RWD, a 6% grade, weight of 20 kN, and other factors such as the coefficient of aerodynamic drag, engine torque, and coefficient of friction. The solution involves finding the limiting torque and using it to calculate the maximum velocity. However, the lack of information on gear ratio may complicate the solution.
eqm

Homework Statement

Determine the maximum velocity attainable by a vehicle with the following conditions:
  • RWD
  • 6% grade
  • Weight = 20 kN
  • CG is 1.25 m behind front axle and 0.5 m above ground level.
  • Wheel base is 2.8 m.
  • Effective rolling radius of wheel = 30 cm
  • Coefficient of aerodynamic drag = 0.45 with frontal area 2.3m2
  • ρ = 1.25 kg/m3
  • Engine develops peak torque at 45 kW and 4000 rpm
  • The rotating inertia of the gearbox is and engine is 0.454 kgm2
  • The rotating inertia of each wheel with driveline is 1.76 kgm2
  • coefficient of friction between road and tire μ = 0.8

Homework Equations

Wr = (W l1cosθ + Rah + W h sinθ)/L

Max Tractive Effort = μ Wr

Ra = 1/2 ρ V2 A CD

The Attempt at a Solution

To solve this problem, I was going to first determine if the wheel torque is limited by the vehicle motor or by road adhesion, then find the maximum velocity using the limiting torque. I can get motor torque but am stuck at this point as I am not given a gear ratio to be able to convert motor torque to wheel torque.

TM = 30 P nrpm / π = 107.43 N/m

I know how to solve for everything else, its really just the the conversion to wheel torque that I'm stuck at (unless I'm approaching this problem entirely wrong).

Physics news on Phys.org
eqm said:
To solve this problem, I was going to first determine if the wheel torque is limited by the vehicle motor or by road adhesion, then find the maximum velocity using the limiting torque. I can get motor torque but am stuck at this point as I am not given a gear ratio to be able to convert motor torque to wheel torque.

TM = 30 P nrpm / π = 107.43 N/m

I know how to solve for everything else, its really just the the conversion to wheel torque that I'm stuck at (unless I'm approaching this problem entirely wrong).
Is that the entire problem statement? It appears over-prescribed or incomplete.
I think you are expected to assume the GR will be whatever is required for the engine to be at 4k RPM at max velocity, otherwise, the problem can't be solved without choosing a random ratio and power curve.
The inertia of the rotating components doesn't matter at max speed, and neither does the coefficient of friction, COG, wheel size or wheelbase (for any reasonably realistic case).

You don't need to consider torques at all, just draw a free body, apply dynamic equilibrium and use P = Fv to find max velocity.
You could then show there is sufficient friction.

What is a vehicle systems problem?

A vehicle systems problem refers to any issue or malfunction that arises within the various systems of a vehicle, such as the engine, transmission, brakes, or electrical systems. These problems can range from minor issues to more serious and complex problems that require professional attention.

What are some common signs of a vehicle systems problem?

Some common signs of a vehicle systems problem include warning lights on the dashboard, strange noises or vibrations while driving, difficulty starting the vehicle, and decreased performance or efficiency. It is important to pay attention to these signs and have the vehicle checked by a professional if they persist.

Can I fix a vehicle systems problem myself?

In some cases, minor vehicle systems problems can be fixed by the owner with some basic knowledge and tools. However, it is always recommended to have a professional mechanic inspect and repair any vehicle systems problems to ensure proper and safe repairs are made.

How do I prevent vehicle systems problems?

To prevent vehicle systems problems, it is important to follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule and have regular check-ups and tune-ups for your vehicle. It is also important to address any issues or warning signs as soon as they arise, rather than ignoring them and potentially causing more serious problems.

What should I do if I encounter a vehicle systems problem while driving?

If you encounter a vehicle systems problem while driving, it is important to remain calm and pull over to a safe location as soon as possible. You should then turn off the engine and contact a professional mechanic for assistance. Do not attempt to continue driving the vehicle if it is not functioning properly.