Help on linear momentum and work/energy problems

In summary, the conversation discusses various physics problems involving concepts such as linear momentum, work-energy theorem, simple pendulum, and center of gravity. The suggested approach for solving these problems is to use an energy approach and conserve the total amount of energy in the system. This involves finding the initial and final values of kinetic and potential energy and using the work-energy theorem to solve for missing variables.
SJC25
Okay ya'll. I am back with mor eproblems I need help with. I had 18 problems, and I need some guidence on 6 of them.

1) A skier, of mass 60 kg, pushes off the top of a hill with an initial speed of 4.0 m/s. How fast will she be moving after dropping 10 m in elevation?

I am guessing this is a linear momentum problem, but the only equation that fits the info given is p=mv. What do I do with the drop in elevation? I feel like I am going left when I should be going right on this problem.

2) A driver, traveling at 22 m/s, slows down her 1500 kg car to stop for a red light. What work is done by the friction force against the wheels?

Is this a Work-Energy Theorem problem? W (net)= delta K? I know I can find 2 values of K (initial velocity and final)... Am I doing this right?

3) A simple pendulum with a 4.4 kg mass and a length of 75 cm, is released from rest at an angle of 50. (a) To what height does the mass swing on the other side? (b) What is the speed of the mass at the bottom of the swing?

This is the first time I have seen a problem about a pendulum. I can't even find an example in the book. Honestly, I am clueless on this one.

4) A 60 kg woman pushes a 20 kg suitcase on wheels a distance of 10 m by exerting a force of 2.0 N in the direction of motion, starting from rest. (a) How much work does she do? (b) If there were no friction acting on the suitcase, what would its final velocity be at the end of the 10 m distance?

I got part (a)... W=Fd Not sure about part (b)... is it as simple as F=ma, or am I totally wrong again?

5) A workman pushes a 200 kg crate up a frictionless metal ramp pf length 4.00 m into the back of a truck(see figure below) *note= there was no figure below. (a) If the angle made by the ramp with the ground is 25.0 and the workman pushes the block at a very slow, constant speed, how much work does he do? (b) What is the increased gravitational potential energy of the crate?

How do I find work if I don't have a F... which I don't know how to get without an acceleration... I thought about using mgy to find what i need... Am I on the right track?

6) Approximately what running speed would an 80 kg pole-vaulter have to acquire to clear a 5.0 m off the ground? Assume that the pole-vaulter's center of gravity is intially 1.0 m off the ground and that the vaulter clears the bar if his center of gravity just reaches the height of the bar.

Okay, lost on this one too. My book has about 2 paragraphs on center of gravity, and I am just not getting it.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Use an energy approach. Gravity does work on the skier which converts to kinetic energy.
2)Again, use conservation of energy. How much work is needed to put the car to a halt?
3) Once more. Conservation of energy. Gravitational + Kinetic.
4a) Use the definition of work.
b) Use the work energy theorem.
5) Basically the same as 4)
6) Basically the same as 3).

All these questions use the same principle. The total amount of energy is conserved. What is lost in kinetic energy is gained in some other form (usually potential energy).

Thanks for the help. I am still having problems with 5 though. How can I find K to do the work energy theorem when I don't have a velocity? Shouldn't I use U=mgy if I am looking for increased gravitational potential energy?
On 4b I have the same problem. How do I use the work energy theorem if I can't find K?

What is linear momentum?

Linear momentum, also known as momentum, is a physical quantity that measures the amount of motion an object has in a particular direction. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity.

How is linear momentum conserved?

According to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time. This means that the total momentum before and after a collision or interaction between objects must be the same.

What is the relationship between force and linear momentum?

Force is directly related to change in momentum over time. This is represented by the equation F = ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. Therefore, a greater force acting on an object will result in a greater change in its momentum.

How do you solve work/energy problems?

To solve a work/energy problem, you need to identify the initial and final states of the system, and the forces acting on the system. Then, you can use the work-energy theorem, which states that the net work done on an object is equal to its change in kinetic energy, to calculate the work and energy involved in the system.

What is the difference between kinetic and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or configuration. Kinetic energy is directly proportional to an object's mass and the square of its velocity, while potential energy depends on the object's position relative to a reference point.