Help please (concerning eigenfunctions and the Schrödinger equation)

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about confirming a simplified wave function as an eigenfunction. The suggested method is to operate on the wave function with the Hamiltonian and see if the result is the same wave function multiplied by a constant, in this case an energy value. The original attachment was difficult to read and a higher-quality scan or typing the work using LaTeX was suggested.
medofx
Homework Statement
in the attachment
Relevant Equations
in the attachment
i have an exam in 2 days and in this question i don't know how should i proceed after that i simplified the wave function but i don't know how to confirm that it's an eigenfunction

Attachments

• 67360771_498788314260240_5978405639204896768_n.jpg
    67360771_498788314260240_5978405639204896768_n.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 264
  • 20190731_015943.jpg
    20190731_015943.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 230
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Your attachment with your work is very hard to read. Can you make a higher-quality scan of it and attach that? Better yet would be for you to type your work into the forum Edit window using LaTeX -- there is a tutorial on LaTeX at the Help pages (see INFO at the top of the page). Thanks

hopefully this is better

Attachments

• Document 4.pdf
    305.7 KB · Views: 251
Likes berkeman
medofx said:
hopefully this is better
Your attempt at a solution is not relevant to the question. To show that the given wavefunction is an eigenfunction, you need to operate on it with the Hamiltonian and see whether you get back the same wavefunction times a constant, in this case one of the energies ##E_n##.

Likes berkeman

1. What is an eigenfunction?

An eigenfunction is a special type of function in mathematics that returns a scalar multiple of itself when acted upon by a linear operator. In the context of the Schrödinger equation, an eigenfunction represents a state of the system with a specific energy value.

2. How is the Schrödinger equation used in quantum mechanics?

The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the time evolution of a quantum state. It is used to calculate the probability of a particle being in a certain state at a certain time, and to predict the behavior of quantum systems.

3. What is the significance of eigenfunctions in the Schrödinger equation?

Eigenfunctions in the Schrödinger equation represent the possible states of a quantum system, and the corresponding eigenvalues represent the energy of those states. They play a crucial role in understanding the behavior and properties of quantum systems.

4. How are eigenfunctions and eigenvalues related in the Schrödinger equation?

In the Schrödinger equation, an eigenfunction is associated with a specific eigenvalue, which represents the energy of that state. The eigenvalues are found by solving the Schrödinger equation, and the corresponding eigenfunctions are the solutions to the equation.

5. Can eigenfunctions be observed in experiments?

No, eigenfunctions cannot be directly observed in experiments. They are mathematical representations of the states of a quantum system and cannot be measured. However, the probability of a particle being in a certain state, represented by an eigenfunction, can be measured in experiments.