Help please with power calculations to turn a large flywheel at 1rpm

In summary, This person is trying to build a large industrial flywheel UPS, but they don't know how to specify significant figures. They need to know the weight, diameter, and friction coefficient of the bearings, and the power required to maintain a flywheel at constant speed.
powermanxx314
How did you find PF?: Trying to find answers

Hi I’m trying to solve this problem .hope someone can find the answers, I need to find the hp needed to run a flying wheel ring shape. 42 ft in diameter weight 200.000 lbs the wheel is Suport by bearing inside and out of the edge of the rim, the rim has tooth throughout the outer side of the rim and will need to turn at 1 rpm .power will be transmitted through a pinion gear 2 inch in diameter in the outside side of the rim

Engineering news on Phys.org
powermanxx314 said:
How did you find PF?: Trying to find answers

Hi I’m trying to solve this problem .hope someone can find the answers, I need to find the hp needed to run a flying wheel ring shape. 42 ft in diameter weight 200.000 lbs the wheel is Suport by bearing inside and out of the edge of the rim, the rim has tooth throughout the outer side of the rim and will need to turn at 1 rpm .power will be transmitted through a pinion gear 2 inch in diameter in the outside side of the rim
Welcome to PF.

That is indeed a big, heavy wheel. Can you say what the application is? Do you know how much torque will be required to overcome bearing friction? How long do you have to spin the flywheel up from zero to 1rpm?

Likes Lnewqban
Theoretically (neglecting losses) the power required to maintain a flywheel at constant speed is zero. Practically, it depends on the friction, air resistance and other losses.

Googling large industrial flywheel UPSs it appears the flywheel losses are so low they don't bother differentiating between that and other loss sources (electrical system losses). One CAT 750 KW system with a 15 sec runtime offers 97.3% total system efficiency (20.4 kW continuous loss).

If you're trying to build one or just design one, a good place to start would be looking up the friction coefficient of the bearing you select.

• Informative
Likes phinds and berkeman
berkeman said:
Welcome to PF.

That is indeed a big, heavy wheel. Can you say what the application is? Do you know how much torque will be required to overcome bearing friction? How long do you have to spin the flywheel up from zero to 1rpm?
Is a personal project, frictions on normal bearings 0.2 , whell turning time is one minute

powermanxx314 said:
I need to find the hp needed to run a flying wheel ring shape. 42 ft in diameter weight 200.000 lbs
powermanxx314 said:
Is a personal project,
A personal project?! Holy smokes, do you live in a castle or something? (I assume that 200.000 lbs is the European notation for 200 thousand pounds...?)

Likes Lnewqban
@powermanxx314
Can you please confirm if the weight of the wheel is; 200 thousand pounds = 90.72 tonne;
Or; 200 pounds = 90.72 kg.

HP is power, power is the rate of energy flow.
If you want to know power, you must specify the time available to accelerate, and then to decelerate the wheel. The problem with a big flywheel is accelerating and decelerating the mass. I doubt a 2” pinion will be sufficient for a 45.36 tonne wheel.

You need to specify clearly the section shape and dimensional size of the wheel. Then we can work out the inertia and energy storage of your system.

Are the bearings really 42 foot diameter? The bearing detail information is needed to work out the rate of energy loss through bearings. You might do better lowering the wheel density and then floating the massive wheel in a lake.

A pinion is a fragile thing when driving a heavy flywheel. One pinion will unbalance the forces on the bearings and mountings. You may need two or three pinions, on separate drive motors, that can be disengaged from the wheel.

Likes berkeman
powermanxx314 said:
I need to find the hp needed to run a flying wheel ring shape. 42 ft in diameter weight 200.000 lbs
Oh dear, I finally used my Mentor superpowers to track the OP's location, and he is in the USA. And apparently has no clue about how to specify significant figures in problem statements. Sigh.

So a 42' 200 pound wheel. Whatever. Just use a 1 HP electric motor that is geared down. Problem solved.

Likes russ_watters
powermanxx314 said:
frictions on normal bearings 0.2
By itself, this is meaningless. We need a sketch showing the dimensions of the bearing surfaces, and how the bearings support the flywheel.

When you refer to "flywheel", you are implying that it will be used to store energy. That means that energy is put into the flywheel, and energy is taken out of the flywheel. The rate of energy in and energy out is power. We need to know the maximum power put into the flywheel because the drive power is equal to the power into the flywheel plus bearing friction.

Unless you just want to turn it at constant speed. Then it is not a flywheel, but a rotating disk or rotating table.

My guess is that it is a novel design for a rotating fast food restaurant.

• Haha
Likes berkeman and russ_watters

1. How do I calculate the power needed to turn a large flywheel at 1rpm?

To calculate the power needed, you will need to know the moment of inertia of the flywheel, the desired angular velocity (1rpm), and the time it takes for the flywheel to reach that velocity. You can use the formula P = (I * ω) / t, where P is power, I is moment of inertia, ω is angular velocity, and t is time.

2. What is the moment of inertia and why is it important for power calculations?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. In the case of a flywheel, it represents the distribution of mass around its axis of rotation. It is important for power calculations because it directly affects how much power is needed to accelerate the flywheel to a desired angular velocity.

3. How do I determine the time it takes for the flywheel to reach 1rpm?

The time it takes for the flywheel to reach 1rpm will depend on the amount of power being applied and the moment of inertia of the flywheel. You can use the formula t = (I * ω) / P, where t is time, I is moment of inertia, ω is angular velocity, and P is power.

4. Can I use the same power calculation for different angular velocities?

No, the power needed to turn a flywheel will vary depending on the desired angular velocity. A higher angular velocity will require more power to be applied in order to achieve it. Therefore, the power calculation will need to be adjusted accordingly.

5. Are there any other factors I should consider when calculating the power needed to turn a large flywheel?

Yes, in addition to the moment of inertia and desired angular velocity, you should also consider any external forces acting on the flywheel, such as friction or air resistance. These forces will also affect the amount of power needed to turn the flywheel at a given speed.