Help putting expression in form of miniterms (Boolean algebra)

In summary, the conversation is about obtaining the minimum second order circuit of a given function by using K-Maps with miniterms and maxiterms and comparing them. The problem at hand is putting the expression into its miniterms form. The solution involves drawing a 2x4 K-Map and mapping the 1's for the function, with one simplification resulting from this process. The conversation ends with the conclusion that it is possible to draw the K-Map by mapping 1's in cells where only one variable changes.
frank1

Homework Statement

I need to obtain the minimum second order circuit of the function:

function2.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that in order to get the minimum second order circuit, I need to use K-Map using both miniterms and maxiterm and compare them. My problem is to put the expression in it's miniterms form.

function3.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
frank1 said:

Homework Statement

I need to obtain the minimum second order circuit of the function:

function2.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that in order to get the minimum second order circuit, I need to use K-Map using both miniterms and maxiterm and compare them. My problem is to put the expression in it's miniterms form.

function3.jpg

Can you show us what your K-Maps look like?

but how can I show you my K-maps if I don't have my function in a miniterm or maxiterm form?

frank1 said:
but how can I show you my K-maps if I don't have my function in a miniterm or maxiterm form?

Just draw the 2x4 K-Map and map the 1's for the function you have listed. There is one simplification that comes out of doing this...

Ok, got it.

Its possible to draw the K-map because where is C.B for example, I can map 1's in the cells adjacents where only A changes.

thanks

frank1 said:
Ok, got it.

Its possible to draw the K-map because where is C.B for example, I can map 1's in the cells adjacents where only A changes.

thanks

Good job! :smile:

1. What is Boolean algebra?

Boolean algebra is a type of algebra that deals with binary variables and logical operations. It is used to solve logical problems and simplify complex expressions.

2. How do you put an expression in the form of miniterms using Boolean algebra?

To put an expression in the form of miniterms, you need to first write the expression using logical operators (AND, OR, NOT). Then, you can convert each part of the expression into a miniterm by assigning a binary value (0 or 1) to each variable in the expression.

3. What is the purpose of using miniterms in Boolean algebra?

Miniterms are used in Boolean algebra to simplify and solve logical problems. They represent all possible combinations of variables in an expression and can help determine the truth value of the overall expression.

4. Can you provide an example of putting an expression in the form of miniterms using Boolean algebra?

Sure. Let's say we have the expression (A AND B) OR (NOT C). To put this in the form of miniterms, we first write it as AB + C'. Then, we can convert it into miniterms by assigning binary values to each variable: 00 + 11' = 00 + 10 = 10. Therefore, the expression in the form of miniterms is (A=0, B=0, C=1) or (A=1, B=1, C=0).

5. What are the benefits of using Boolean algebra in scientific research?

Boolean algebra is a powerful tool that can help scientists analyze and solve logical problems. It can be used in various fields such as computer science, engineering, and mathematics to simplify complex expressions and make accurate predictions based on logical reasoning. Additionally, Boolean algebra can be used to design and optimize logical circuits, making it a valuable tool for researchers in these fields.