Help rearranging a linear first order differential equation

In summary, the problem at hand involves rearranging a first order linear differential equation into standard form. By subtracting a term involving y from both sides of the equation, we can rewrite it as a linear equation. Then, by computing the integrating factor and multiplying both sides by it, we can solve for y. The final step involves integrating and solving for y.
Kris1
Hi I am trying to solve dy/dx = 3x^2-2x+2+(8/x *y)

Can anyone show me how to rearrange to standard form as I am mightly confused :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Help rearranging a linear first order differential

The equation of interest is the first of the two you have listed. Thankyou :)

Kris said:
Hi I am trying to solve dy/dx = 3x^2-2x+2+(8/x *y)

Can anyone show me how to rearrange to standard form as I am mightly confused :(

The first thing you need to do is get every term involving y on one side of the equation. So subtracting $\dfrac{8}{x}y$ from both sides gives you
\[\frac{dy}{dx}-\frac{8}{x}y=3x^2-2x+2.\]
We now note that the equation is now in the form of a linear equation $\dfrac{dy}{dx}+P(x)y=Q(x)$. To proceed from here, you need to compute the integrating factor
\[\mu(x)=\exp\left(\int P(x)\,dx\right)=\ldots\quad(\text{I leave this part to you})\]
where $\exp(x)=e^x$. Then if you multiply both sides of the linear ODE by $\mu(x)$, you get
\[\frac{d}{dx}[\mu(x) y]=\mu(x)(3x^2-2x+2)\implies y=\frac{1}{\mu(x)}\int \mu(x)(3x^2-2x+2)\,dx.\]

Can you fill in the work I left out? I hope this helps!

Yes thanks I can fill the rest out I was just unsure as how to rearrange the equation because of all the terms multiplied by x but I see that it is quite easy now :)

Sure, let's break down the steps to rearrange this linear first order differential equation:

1. First, let's group all the terms with y on one side of the equation and all the terms with x on the other side. This will give us:

dy/dx - (8/x) * y = 3x^2 - 2x + 2

2. Next, we need to factor out the coefficient of y, which in this case is -8/x. This will give us:

dy/dx - (8/x) * y = (3x^2 - 2x + 2)

3. Now, we need to divide both sides of the equation by the coefficient of y, -8/x. This will give us:

(dy/dx - (8/x) * y) / (-8/x) = (3x^2 - 2x + 2) / (-8/x)

4. Simplifying the left side of the equation, we get:

dy/dx - y = (3x^2 - 2x + 2) / (-8/x)

5. Finally, we can rearrange the terms to get the equation in standard form, which is:

dy/dx + y = (2x^2 - 2x + 2) / (8/x)

And there you have it! The linear first order differential equation has been rearranged to standard form. I hope this helps clear up any confusion. Remember, when solving differential equations, it's important to follow the rules of algebra and manipulate the equation to get it in a form that is easier to work with.

Related to Help rearranging a linear first order differential equation

What is a linear first order differential equation?

A linear first order differential equation is an equation that involves a function and its derivative, where the highest power of the function is 1. It can be written in the form dy/dx = f(x), where y is the function and f(x) is a function of x.

Why do we need to rearrange a linear first order differential equation?

Rearranging a linear first order differential equation can make it easier to solve or analyze. It can also help us to find a particular solution or determine the general solution of the equation.

How do we rearrange a linear first order differential equation?

To rearrange a linear first order differential equation, you can use algebraic techniques such as isolating the derivative on one side of the equation and the function on the other side. You may also need to use integration to solve for the function.

What are some common methods used to solve a rearranged linear first order differential equation?

Some common methods used to solve a rearranged linear first order differential equation include separation of variables, substitution, and integrating factors. These methods involve manipulating the equation to isolate the function and then using integration to find a solution.

Can a linear first order differential equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a linear first order differential equation can have multiple solutions. This is because when we integrate the equation, we get a family of curves rather than a single solution. The general solution of a linear first order differential equation will have a constant of integration that can take on different values, resulting in multiple solutions.