HELP - ROTATIONAL INERTIA (no numbers given)

In summary: The masses would not cancel out, but instead, would be equal to each other. In summary, to find the factor by which the mass and rotational inertia are reduced for a child's bowling ball compared to an adult's, you need to set the two densities equal to each other and then examine how the masses vary. This can be done by finding the volumes of the two spheres and using the equation for density (D = M/V). The resulting masses will then be equal to each other, allowing you to determine the factor by which they are reduced.
Quarkn

Homework Statement

A bowling ball made for a child has half the radius of an adult bowling ball. They are made of the same material (and therefore have the same mass per unit volume). By what factor is a) mass and b) rotational inertia if the child's ball reduced compared with the adult ball?

Homework Equations

I=MR²
(sphere) I=(2/5)MR²

The Attempt at a Solution

I only got to: R(adult) = (1/2)R (child).

PS. the answers to a) reduced by a factor of 8 and b)reduced by a factor of 32

Physics news on Phys.org
Set the two densities equal to each other, and then examine how the masses vary (since the radius of the child's bowling ball differs from the adult's). Based on this, you should have enough information to determine its moment of inertia.

physicsvalk said:
Set the two densities equal to each other, and then examine how the masses vary (since the radius of the child's bowling ball differs from the adult's). Based on this, you should have enough information to determine its moment of inertia.

So would you find the volume of each spheres first?

And if i set the two densities equal, wouldn't the masses just cancel?

ex. D=M/V, M/v=M/V ?

Yes, you would need to find the volumes.

The densities are said to be equal and the volumes differ, therefore, the masses can't be the same.

I would first like to clarify that rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is dependent on the mass, shape, and distribution of the object's mass.

In this scenario, we are comparing the rotational inertia of an adult bowling ball to that of a child's bowling ball. We are given that the child's ball has half the radius of the adult ball and that they are made of the same material with the same mass per unit volume.

To calculate the rotational inertia, we can use the equation I=MR² for a solid sphere. However, since the balls are not solid spheres, we need to use the equation for a hollow sphere, which is I=(2/3)MR².

a) For the mass, we can assume that the density of both balls is the same, as they are made of the same material. This means that the mass will be directly proportional to the volume, which is proportional to the radius cubed. Therefore, the mass of the child's ball will be (1/8) of the mass of the adult ball.

b) For the rotational inertia, we can use the equation I=(2/3)MR². As the mass is reduced by a factor of 1/8, the rotational inertia will be reduced by the same factor. Therefore, the child's ball will have a rotational inertia that is (1/8) of the adult ball's rotational inertia.

In conclusion, the mass of the child's ball will be reduced by a factor of 8, while the rotational inertia will be reduced by a factor of 8 as well.

Related to HELP - ROTATIONAL INERTIA (no numbers given)

1. What is rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is dependent on the mass and distribution of mass of the object.

2. How is rotational inertia different from mass?

While mass is a measure of an object's resistance to linear motion, rotational inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. In other words, mass determines how difficult it is to change an object's linear velocity, while rotational inertia determines how difficult it is to change an object's angular velocity.

3. What factors affect rotational inertia?

The two main factors that affect rotational inertia are the mass of the object and the distribution of that mass. Objects with a larger mass and/or more of that mass located farther away from the axis of rotation will have a higher rotational inertia.

4. How is rotational inertia calculated?

The formula for calculating rotational inertia is I = mr^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance between the object's axis of rotation and its center of mass.

5. Why is understanding rotational inertia important?

Understanding rotational inertia is important in many areas of science and engineering, particularly in the fields of mechanics and motion. It helps us analyze and predict the behavior of rotating objects and is crucial in designing machines and structures that involve rotation, such as engines, turbines, and amusement park rides.