Help Solve Impulse Problem w/ Pendulum Bob

• Thread starter Kudo Shinichi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impulse
In summary, the problem involves a bullet of mass m and speed v passing through a pendulum bob of large mass M and emerging with a speed of v/2. The bob is attached to a string of length l. The impulse delivered to the bob by the bullet can be calculated using the formula impulse = momentum change = P_f - P_i, where P_f is the final momentum of the bob and P_i is the initial momentum of the bullet. However, it is unclear how to proceed with the calculation.
Kudo Shinichi
HELP!Impulse problem

Homework Statement

A bullet of mass m and speed v passes through a pendulum bob of large mass M and emerges with speed v/2. the bob is at the end of a sting of length l.What impulse is delivered to the bob by the bullet in this case.

The Attempt at a Solution

impulse=momentum change=P_f-P_i
therefore,
impulse=(m(v/2)+Mv')-mv

However, I don't think it is the final answer for this question, but I don't really know how to continue... can anyone help me with this question? thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org

I see nothing is wrong. The bullet comes in with v while the bob has v=0 then the bullet exits with v/2 and then the bob has a velocity of v' (or some velocity v)

djeitnstine said:
I see nothing is wrong. The bullet comes in with v while the bob has v=0 then the bullet exits with v/2 and then the bob has a velocity of v' (or some velocity v)

thank you very much. I am just making sure.

Related to Help Solve Impulse Problem w/ Pendulum Bob

1. What is an impulse problem with a pendulum bob?

An impulse problem with a pendulum bob refers to a situation where the pendulum bob receives an external force that changes its velocity or direction of motion. This can cause the pendulum bob to move in a non-uniform manner, making it difficult to accurately predict its motion.

2. What factors contribute to an impulse problem with a pendulum bob?

There are several factors that can contribute to an impulse problem with a pendulum bob. These include the length of the pendulum, the mass of the bob, the angle of release, and the magnitude of the external force applied.

3. How can we solve an impulse problem with a pendulum bob?

To solve an impulse problem with a pendulum bob, we can use the principles of conservation of energy and conservation of momentum. By considering the initial and final energy and momentum of the pendulum bob, we can calculate its motion and determine the effects of the external impulse.

4. What are some real-world applications of impulse problems with pendulum bobs?

Impulse problems with pendulum bobs have many real-world applications, such as in engineering and physics experiments. They can also be used to study the motion of objects in space, such as pendulum clocks on a ship or satellite.

5. How can understanding impulse problems with pendulum bobs benefit us?

Understanding impulse problems with pendulum bobs can benefit us by providing insight into the behavior of objects under the influence of external forces. This knowledge can be applied in various fields, such as engineering and physics, to improve the design and functionality of machines and structures.