Help Solve Physics Problem: Lamp Moving at v=c/4

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a stationary lamp emitting light in all directions and then moving at a velocity of c/4. The question is posed about the angle of the cone in which the light now emits. There is some confusion about how to solve the problem, with the concept of Doppler shifts being mentioned. The solution is eventually given as 152 degrees, with the phenomenon of aberration being mentioned. The approach to solving the problem is confirmed to be correct.
radimkupcak
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no HH Template is shown.
Hello, I need help with this problem. In 2D we have a lamp that emits light in 360 degrees around itself while stationary. Than it starts moving at velocity of c/4 what is the degree of the cone in which the light now emits to ? I hope you understand, like the angle of the field where the light falls from the perspetive of observer who is stationary. I don't know how to solve it, does anebody know ?
IMG_20160426_215423.jpg

Thank you Radim

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider a photon emitted directly to the left when the source is stationary. In what direction will it travel when the source is moving?

Likes radimkupcak
Light is still being emitted in all directions, with Doppler shifts.

Likes radimkupcak
Yes you are correct, I misunderstood the problem, it made no sense to me that the light would not be emitted to the left from the stationary observers perspective. They are asking for angle of beams of photons that were emitted perpendicular on the vector of velocity (but they won´t be perpendicular while it is moving) The answer is supposed to be 152 degrees, but I don't know how they got this result.

Attachments

• IMG_20160426_225010.jpg
    IMG_20160426_225010.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 347
The phenomenon is called "aberration", and occurs in both Newtonian and relativistic physics. Google for relativistic aberration.

Likes radimkupcak
IMG_20160427_005205.jpg

So could anyone confirm me that this approach is correct ?

1. What is the speed of the lamp moving at v=c/4?

The speed of the lamp moving at v=c/4 is one-fourth of the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

2. What is the significance of v=c/4 in this problem?

The significance of v=c/4 is that it represents a relativistic speed, meaning that it is a significant fraction of the speed of light. This can lead to interesting effects such as time dilation and length contraction.

3. How does the speed of the lamp impact its kinetic energy?

According to the equation for kinetic energy (KE=1/2mv^2), the speed of the lamp directly affects its kinetic energy. Therefore, at v=c/4, the lamp would have a significant amount of kinetic energy due to its relativistic speed.

4. Can the lamp actually reach the speed of light?

No, according to the theory of relativity, it is impossible for any object with mass to reach the speed of light. As the lamp approaches the speed of light, its mass would increase infinitely, making it impossible to accelerate any further.

5. How does the mass of the lamp change as it moves at v=c/4?

As the lamp moves at v=c/4, its mass would increase due to relativistic effects. This is known as mass-energy equivalence, where the mass of an object increases as its kinetic energy increases.