Help Solving Physics Exam Question on Gamma Rays Counting Rate

In summary, the conversation revolved around a question in an exam about counting gamma rays emitted by a radioactive source. The question asked about the error in the counting rate per second with 10000 counts recorded in 20 seconds. The concept involved was the statistical distribution, specifically the Poisson distribution, which was covered in the reading. The distribution describes the number of counts in a given time period. The solution to the problem was found to be the square root of 500, which is 22.4.
DM107
Hi,

I came across a question in an exam which I couldn't really relate to any topic of physics, that I had studied.
It goes like this-

A detector is used to count the number of gamma rays emitted by a radioactive source. If the number of counts recorded in exactly 20 seconds is 10000, the error in the counting rate per second is?

Can someone please let me know what concept is involved so that I can try and solve it?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the statistical distribution which describes the number of counts in 20 s?

No distribution was given with the question Dale.

The distribution for this kind of problem won't be given in the question itself. It is well known and would certainly have been covered extensively in the reading.

Which distributions were covered in the reading, and what do those distributions describe?

I got it Dale. Its poisson distribution.
and the error in counting rate per second will be sqroot(500) which is 22.4.

Thanks a lot!

Good job!

Likes DM107

What is the purpose of counting gamma rays in a physics exam?

The purpose of counting gamma rays in a physics exam is to measure the rate at which they are emitted from a radioactive source. This can provide information about the stability and decay of the source, as well as the properties of gamma rays themselves.

How is the counting rate of gamma rays measured?

The counting rate of gamma rays is typically measured using a device called a Geiger counter. This instrument detects and counts individual gamma ray particles as they pass through a detector. The results are then recorded and analyzed to determine the counting rate.

Why is it important to understand gamma ray counting rate in physics?

Understanding gamma ray counting rate is important in physics because it is a crucial factor in studying the properties and behavior of radioactive materials. It also has practical applications, such as in medical imaging and radiation therapy.

What factors can affect the counting rate of gamma rays?

Several factors can affect the counting rate of gamma rays, including the strength and type of radioactive source, the distance between the source and detector, and environmental factors such as shielding and background radiation.

How can one improve the accuracy of gamma ray counting rate measurements?

To improve the accuracy of gamma ray counting rate measurements, it is important to minimize sources of error such as background radiation and detector saturation. Using multiple detectors and averaging results can also help to improve accuracy.