Help Solving Renormalization Group Equations

In summary, Schwartz is trying to solve a set of coupled ODEs and explains how he does it by diagonalizing the matrix \bigl( \begin{smallmatrix} a & b\\ c & d+2 \end{smallmatrix} \bigr) and solving for the exact solutions in the basis we began with. He is confused about how he goes from eqn. (120) to eqn. (121), and later from (122) to (123). He suggests that due to the small values of d,a, and (d-a)(\Lambda_{L}/\Lambda_{H})^2 he can approximate the
Sonny Liston
This isn't a homework problem, but something from a set of notes that I'd like to better understand. My confusion starts on page 23 here: http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.topic1146665.files/III-9-RenormalizationGroup.pdf. I'm having trouble reproducing his calculation for the marginal/irrelevant couplings from the notes, and would like to solve problem 5 at the end. I'm hoping that understanding what he does in the notes will help my current confusion about that problem, which I think promises a really nice understanding of why relevant operators are problematic.

Homework Statement

Schwartz starts with the general renormalization group equations [tex]\Lambda \frac{d}{d\Lambda} \lambda_{4} = a\lambda_{4} +b\lambda_{6}[/tex] and [tex]\Lambda \frac{d}{d\Lambda} \lambda_{6} -2\lambda_{6} = c\lambda_{4} + (d+2)\lambda_{6}[/tex] where [tex]\lambda_{4},\lambda_{6}[/tex] are dimensionless couplings and a,b,c,d are small constants. At this point, the problem just becomes solving this set of coupled ODEs, which Schwartz does by diagonalizing the matrix [tex]\bigl( \begin{smallmatrix}
a & b\\
c & d+2
\end{smallmatrix} \bigr)[/tex]

This eventually leads to exact solutions in the basis we began with, which are given by eqns. (118) and (119) in his notes.

Homework Equations

The part of the reasoning that I'm confused about is how he goes from eqn. (120) to eqn. (121), and later from (122) to (123).

Eqn (120) is [tex]\lambda_{6}(\Lambda)=\lambda_{4}(\Lambda) \frac{2c[(\Lambda/\Lambda_{H})^{\Delta}-1]}{(2+d−a+\Delta)-(2+d−a-\Delta)(\Lambda/\Lambda_{H})^{\Delta}}[/tex]

and Schwartz claims that Setting [tex]\Lambda=\Lambda_{L}\ll\Lambda_{H}[/tex] and assuming [tex]a, b, c, d\ll 2[/tex] so that [tex]\Delta\approx 2[/tex] we find Eqn(121), which is [tex]\lambda_{6}(\Lambda_{L})=\lambda_{4}(\Lambda_{L})[\frac{c}{2}((\Lambda_{L}/\Lambda_{H})^2 -1][/tex]

I'll list my confusion for this case below, but similar confusion extends to moving from (122) to (123).

The Attempt at a Solution

I can come up with a justification for getting eqn (121) from eqn (120), but it seems likely wrong: since both [tex]d,a[/tex] are small and [tex]\Delta\approx 2[/tex] and [tex](\Lambda_{L}/\Lambda_{H})^2[/tex] is very small since [tex]\Lambda=\Lambda_{L}\ll\Lambda_{H}[/tex] we can neglect the [tex]d-a[/tex] and [tex](d-a)(\Lambda_{L}/\Lambda_{H})[/tex] terms which allow us to approximate the denominator in (121) by 4. This then gives us eqn (121).

I mentioned I'm suspicious of this reasoning, but does this seem sound? It also seems justify the move from (122) to (123). And if so, does anyone have guidance on how to tackle problem 5 in those notes?

Physics news on Phys.org
...Help?

Nevermind -- got it sorted.

Related to Help Solving Renormalization Group Equations

1. What is the purpose of solving renormalization group equations?

The purpose of solving renormalization group equations is to understand the behavior of a physical system at different scales. This allows scientists to make predictions and calculations about a system's behavior and properties, such as phase transitions and critical points.

2. How are renormalization group equations used in physics?

Renormalization group equations are used in many areas of physics, such as quantum field theory, statistical mechanics, and condensed matter physics. They are essential for understanding the behavior of complex systems at different energy scales, and are often used to study phase transitions and critical phenomena.

3. Are there different types of renormalization group equations?

Yes, there are different types of renormalization group equations, such as the Wilsonian renormalization group and the Kadanoff block renormalization group. These equations differ in their approach and assumptions, but both are used to study the behavior of physical systems at different scales.

4. Can renormalization group equations be solved exactly?

No, in general, renormalization group equations cannot be solved exactly. They are often highly complex and nonlinear, making it difficult to find exact solutions. However, techniques such as perturbation theory and numerical simulations are used to approximate solutions and make predictions.

5. What are the applications of renormalization group equations?

Renormalization group equations have many applications in physics, including studying phase transitions, critical phenomena, and the behavior of complex systems. They can also be applied in other fields, such as economics and biology, to understand the behavior of systems at different scales.