Help- Thin cheap board/plastic for waterproof poster

In summary, the conversation is about finding a thin and cheap material that can accept titebond glue and paper for a semi-waterproof poster that will only be wet for a few hours. Suggestions include using corrugated plastic with optional surface coatings that can be removed with acetone or fire, scrounging for masonite or plywood from abandoned furniture, or using aquapel or varnished Bristol board.
paisley
Hi all-

I am trying to make a semi-waterproof poster (only needs to be wet for a few hours and not necessary for the poster to last beyond the day)

I need to back the poster on a hard surface - have tried correx but it won't accept any titebond glue as it is basically treated to be resistant. Have been looking at hardwood today but it is too expensive.

Any ideas for a thin and CHEAP material that would accept titebond glue and paper?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Corrugated plastic has a number of optional additives and surface coatings. The surface coatings can be removed by wiping with acetone or carefully with a flame. Coroplast® is a common building material for aerodynamic human powered vehicles.

paisley said:
Any ideas for a thin and CHEAP material that would accept titebond glue and paper?
What I would do is use "scrounged masonite." This would be masonite pulled off the back of an old dresser you find abandoned in an alley. Sometimes they're backed with thin veneer plywood, but that would work just as well. I have two or three sheets of this I keep on hand.

If your poster is large, and the masonite or plywood thin, you might have to make a 1 x 2 box frame to keep the masonite flat. Anyway, paint it with exterior paint or polyurthethane before mounting the poster to keep it from absorbing too much moisture for the 24 hours you need it. (I assume you suppose it might get rained or snowed on, and not that you're going to immerse it in water.I don't think this would last long totally immersed.)

If you're not an alley scrounger type, you might look at the free giveaway section on craigslist for a free dresser/bureau.

Maybe check with a local sign shop. When I worked in one, we did our political lawn signs on something that I'm sure we called "aquapel". It was a sort of stiff cardboard poster stock with some kind of wax or plastic coating to make it waterproof. Unfortunately, the only thing that comes up under that entry on Google is a glass treatment. The Coropast that we used had small grooves that corresponded to the internal corrugation. In most instances, that wasn't a problem, but it can be.
Alternatively, just get a sheet of Bristol board and apply a coat of varnish.

I would suggest looking into using a foam board or foam core as a backing for your waterproof poster. Foam boards are relatively inexpensive and come in a variety of thicknesses, making them a versatile option. They are also easy to cut and work with.

In terms of waterproofing, you could try using a waterproof sealant or spray on the foam board before attaching your poster with the titebond glue. This will help to prevent any moisture from seeping through and damaging your poster.

Additionally, you could also consider using a laminating film on your poster before attaching it to the foam board. This will add an extra layer of protection against water and also make your poster more durable.

Overall, foam board is a cost-effective and readily available option for backing your waterproof poster. With the addition of a waterproof sealant or laminating film, you should be able to achieve your desired result. I hope this helps!

What is the best material to use for a waterproof poster?

The best material to use for a waterproof poster would be a thin cheap board or plastic. This type of material is durable and can withstand exposure to water without getting damaged.

Can any type of board or plastic be used for a waterproof poster?

No, not all types of board or plastic are suitable for a waterproof poster. It is important to use a thin material that is specifically designed to be waterproof, such as polypropylene or PVC.

How can I make sure my poster stays waterproof?

In addition to using a waterproof material, you can also apply a waterproof coating or laminate to the poster. This will provide an extra layer of protection against water damage.

Is it necessary to use a thin material for a waterproof poster?

Yes, a thin material is necessary for a waterproof poster because it is more flexible and less likely to crack or tear when exposed to water. Thicker materials may not be as effective in keeping the poster waterproof.

Are there any other benefits to using a thin cheap board or plastic for a waterproof poster?

Aside from being waterproof, a thin cheap board or plastic is also lightweight and easy to transport. This makes it a convenient option for posters that need to be displayed or moved frequently.