Help to understand this eigenvector case

• MHB
  • Thread starter ognik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eigenvector
In summary, the problem was trying to find eigenvalues and vectors for a matrix, but ended up with a row-reduced matrix that had no eigenvectors.
ognik
Did a practice problem finding eigenvalues &-vectors, ended with this row-reduced matrix: $ \begin{bmatrix}1&0&0\\0&1&0\\0&0&1\end{bmatrix}$; Solving to get the eigenvectors, I could get $x_1 = x_2 = x_3$, in which case the eigenspace would be the zero vector.

Instead the answer is $ \begin{bmatrix}0\\0\\1\end{bmatrix}$ I think its because I need to choose 1 independent variable(right word?) and a method is to set the last variable to some real t - $x_3=t$, then $x_1 = x_2 = 0t$ ...but above I found $x_3 = 0$? So I know to set $x_3$ to t - but it doesn't make sense to me in this particular case where there are no dependent variables?

(I can see that it is an identity matrix, which is also a Markov matrix, but I don't thank those are relevant?)

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear "what" matrix you row-reduced, nor why, so it's impossible to verify you did it correctly.

That said, finding eigenvectors usually is a two-step process:

Step 1-given the matrix $A$, calculate the determinant of $xI - A$ (this will be a polynomial in $x$).

Step 2 - for any root of that polynomial, say $\lambda$, solve the system of equations:

$(\lambda I - A)v = 0$.

This system will typically be "under-determined", since we know that $\lambda I - A$ is singular (why?).

Typically, one will get a solution of the form (in $3$ dimensions, for example): $(at,bt,ct) = t(a,b,c)$. Any non-zero value of $t$ gives an eigenvector. Often, one of $a,b,c$ is chosen to be $1$, and it is often possible to have all $3$ coordinates be chosen to be integers.

Hi - I'm sure it's correct - and it's not the first I've encountered, where solving $ (λI−A)v=0 $ could have all the variables = 0. (it is singular 'cos we found eigenvalues for which the characteristic poly = 0, in turn from det(λI−A)=0)

I know that the method is to choose one variable (in this case $v_3$) to be 1, so in this case we get t(0,0,1). But I'd like to understand why t(0,0,0) is not valid (because solving $ (λI−A)v=0 $ gives $v_1 = v_2 = v_3 = 0)?

Eigenvectors are always non-zero.

Deveno said:
Eigenvectors are always non-zero.

Hi, just came across a lemma that says 'an eigenspace is a subs-space - which I knew. But it then goes on to say

"Proof. An eigenspace must be nonempty — for one thing it contains the zero vector — and so we need only check closure"

Doesn't this suggest that the zero vector CAN be an eigenvector?

An eigenspace is composed of all eigenvectors belonging to a certain eigenvalue, AND the zero vector (which is NOT an eigenvector).

What is an eigenvector?

An eigenvector is a vector that does not change direction when multiplied by a given matrix. It is often used to represent important directions or patterns in a dataset.

What is the importance of eigenvectors?

Eigenvectors are important because they can help simplify and understand complicated mathematical systems. They are also used in many applications, such as data analysis, image processing, and quantum mechanics.

How do you find eigenvectors?

To find eigenvectors, you first need to find the eigenvalues of a matrix. Then, for each eigenvalue, you can solve a system of equations to find the corresponding eigenvector.

What is the difference between eigenvectors and other types of vectors?

Eigenvectors are different from other types of vectors because they are associated with a specific matrix and cannot be multiplied by any other matrix. They also have special properties, such as staying in the same direction when multiplied by a matrix.

Can eigenvectors have complex values?

Yes, eigenvectors can have complex values. In fact, complex eigenvectors often arise in systems with complex matrices, such as in quantum mechanics or control systems.