Help Understanding a Quantum Circuit Identity

In summary: The one you see in the picture is a unitary matrix. The basis is the basis that is given to you when you look at the equation. It's a 2x2 matrix. The U you are trying to apply to the second qubit is the one you see in the picture.
CMJ96
Hello I have the following quantum circuit identity for converting a controlled U gate (4x4 matrix) into a series of CNOT gates and single qubit gates
$$ U= AXA^{\dagger}X$$
where A is a unitary matrix.
Here is a picture of the mentioned identity.
hCYpzW8.png

Can someone help me understand conceptually what is going on here? How do you actually define A?

Attachments

• hCYpzW8.png
    hCYpzW8.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 918
Physics news on Phys.org
CMJ96 said:
Can someone help me understand conceptually what is going on here?
The idea is to use a CNOT gate and single qubit operations instead of trying to implement the controlled U. Single qubit operations are simpler to do in real experiments, so that the focus is to implement a CNOT gate and try to use it as much as possible. As you see, the price to pay is that you have to perform two CNOTs and two single-qubit operations instead of a single operation.

CMJ96 said:
How do you actually define A?
Depends on what you want U to achieve. The idea is to find the A that allows you to end up in the same state as with the controlled U gate.

So when A is introduced, would it be another 4x4 unitary matrix (assuming the control U gate is a 4x4 matrix)?

CMJ96 said:
So when A is introduced, would it be another 4x4 unitary matrix (assuming the control U gate is a 4x4 matrix)?
From ##U= AXA^{\dagger}X##, you see that ##U## and ##A## have the same dimension. You can look at the action of ##U## and ##A## on the lower qubit only, in which case they are 2x2 matrices, but if you want the full controlled gate, which has to be a two-qubit operator, then you have to write them as a 4x4 matrices.

Likes CMJ96
Hi I've gone away and had a think about this, and now I feel I understand what is happening pretty well, however I'm still struggling with applying it.
$$
\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} & \frac{-1}{2} \\
0 & 0 & \frac{1}{2} & \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}
\end{bmatrix}
$$
Is it appropriate to be using the aforementioned circuit identity to write this controlled U as single qubit gates and CNOT's? I have been trying for a while now to figure out what unitary matrix fits into the equation for A and can't quite get it

Last edited:
CMJ96 said:
Hi I've gone away and had a think about this, and now I feel I understand what is happening pretty well, however I'm still struggling with applying it.
$$
\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} & \frac{-1}{2} \\
0 & 0 & \frac{1}{2} & \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}
\end{bmatrix}
$$
What basis are you using for the matrix representation? What matrix is that supposed to be? What is the U you are trying to apply to the second qubit?

1. What is a quantum circuit identity?

A quantum circuit identity is a mathematical expression that represents the equivalence between two different quantum circuits. It is used to simplify and analyze quantum circuits, as well as to design new quantum algorithms.

2. How is a quantum circuit identity different from a classical circuit identity?

A quantum circuit identity involves quantum gates, which operate on quantum bits (qubits) that can exist in multiple states simultaneously. In contrast, a classical circuit identity involves classical gates that operate on classical bits that can only exist in one state at a time.

3. What is the purpose of a quantum circuit identity?

The main purpose of a quantum circuit identity is to simplify complex quantum circuits and reduce the number of gates needed to perform a specific task. This can help improve the efficiency and accuracy of quantum algorithms.

4. How are quantum circuit identities used in quantum computing?

Quantum circuit identities are used in various ways in quantum computing, such as in quantum error correction, quantum simulation, and quantum cryptography. They are also used to design and optimize quantum circuits for specific tasks.

5. Are there any limitations to quantum circuit identities?

While quantum circuit identities can greatly simplify quantum circuits, they are not a panacea and have their own limitations. They may not work for all quantum circuits and may not always provide significant improvements in terms of efficiency or accuracy.