Help Understanding Light/Atom Thoeries

• Thread starter blue_lilly
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing various theories in physics, including relativity, Brownian motion, black-body radiation, photo-electric effect, radioactivity, Compton scattering, deBroglie wavelength, and Rutherford back-scattering. The questions asked pertain to the properties and behavior of photons and the concept of empty space within the electron cloud of an atom.
blue_lilly

Homework Statement

I am studying for my physics final and I had some questions about the theories we learned in class.2. Relevant Theories
Relativity
States the speed of light is a constant (c= 3E8 m/s). This was found using the equation E=mc^2.​

Brownian Motion
Established the atomic theory which say that atoms movement is random (as the temperature increases, the atom movement increases)​

Black-body Radiation
This says that atoms have quantized energy levels (The energy levels is where the electron 'sits'). When absorbed the electron jumps up and when emitted the electron jumps down.
All atoms give off Electromagnetic Radiation-the wavelength of the radiation depends on the temperature. [Visible Light: blue is the hottest, white is in the middle, red is the coolest]​

Photo-Electric Effect
States that light can be viewed as particles. These partials of light are known as photons. A proton is a packet of light energy E=hƒ. Photons release electrons. As photons come in, the photon gives all its energy to an electron, and the electron comes out (Photon in, electron out)​

Radioactivity
Unstable isotopes have atomic particles that randomly decay over time. Decay relates to the half-life of the isotope. The decay causes biological damage to the cell at an atomic level [Absorbed dose=Energy/mass ; Biological Equivalent Dose(rem)= absorbed dose(in rads)*RBE(Relative Biological Effectiveness)].​

Compton Scattering
Mass-less photons have momentum.
Elastic Scattering- energy is conserved before and after an electron scatters.​

deBroglie Wavelength
Particles have properties that are similar to waves.​

Rutherford Back-scattering
Established the idea that in an atom, the nucleus is a very tiny positive charge while the rest of the atoms 'space' or electron cloud is filled with electrons and a lot of empty space.​

The Attempt at a Solution

These are the questions I had relating to the theories

deBroglie Wavelength
Besides wavelength and frequency, what other wave properties are used with particles?
All I can think of is period and amplitude but I am unsure as to when I would need to use either of them when discussing particles.

Relativity/Compton Scattering/Photo-Electric Effect
Relativity says that the speed of light was found by using the equation E=mc^2. Compton Scattering says that photons (which are alpha particles[2 neutrons & 2 protons]) are mass-less. The Photo-Electric Effect says that light is made of packets of protons. So if, Energy=mass*speed of light^2, and light is made up of photons which are mass-less, does that mean the speed of light have no energy? [E=mc^2 ; E=(zero)(3E8^2) ; E=zero]​
Photo-Electric Effect
When it is talking about photons coming in and an electron coming out, that is talking a atom, right?​

Black-body Radiation
Just to check and make sure I got this right, when a photon is absorbed, the electron jumps up an energy level (which is some energy level/orbit that is further away from the nucleus) and when a photon is emitted, the electron jumps down an energy level (which is some energy level/orbit that is closer to the nucleus). Electrons can only jump if they have the excact amount of energy to get to the orbit.​
Just wanted to check an make sure this is correct.

Rutherford Back-scattering
Is the empty space in the electron cloud "made" of anything or is it just nothing-ness?​
Also, in the electron cloud, does the 'empty space' carry a negative charge as well? Or have any properties?​
I know that the electrons are negatively charged. I don't understand the concept of 'empty space' because there is a repelling force between electrons and I would have assumed that the forces is being transferred over this 'empty space'; and if there is a force repelling the electrons or attracting the electron to the nucleus, then there can't be nothing there because the forces are being transferred there. [I might be looking to far into this and confusing myself. :bugeye: ]

Any help/explanation would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Photons:

For photons, you have to use Einstein's Special Relativity Energy-momentum relation:

E2 = m2c4 + (pc)2

So even though the photon has no mass, it's energy and momentum is still related by E = pc.

So this equation for photons (or any massless particles) works like this:

E = pc

Last edited:
About Rutherford stuff:

Just don't worry about any of that stuff. Trying to visualize how an atom or nucleus really looks like isn't a good idea, because it is impossible to "accurately" define what they look like. We can only construct models to predict where things are. We can't actually pinpoint for sure at any time where an electron inside an atom is. (all that we know is that it is around the nucleus somewhere)

I'm sorry to say, but what you wrote is full of misconceptions. I'll will try to clear up to most glaring.

blue_lilly said:
Relativity
States the speed of light is a constant (c= 3E8 m/s). This was found using the equation E=mc^2.​
The special theory of relativity is founded on the concept that observers in inertial frames will all measure the same speed of light, regardless of how they are moving with respect to one another. ##E=mc^2## is a consequence of the theory of special relativity.

blue_lilly said:
Brownian Motion
Established the atomic theory which say that atoms movement is random (as the temperature increases, the atom movement increases)​
What was shown with Brownian motion was that it could be explained by postulating that the motion of a big particle displaying Brownian motion was subjected to numerous random hits from smaller particles. It is an argument for the discrete nature of matter (and the existence of molecules rather than atoms, as you stated). Also very important is the fact that that Einstein worked out the size of these molecules from the Brownian motion of the big particle.

blue_lilly said:
Black-body Radiation
This says that atoms have quantized energy levels (The energy levels is where the electron 'sits'). When absorbed the electron jumps up and when emitted the electron jumps down.
All atoms give off Electromagnetic Radiation-the wavelength of the radiation depends on the temperature. [Visible Light: blue is the hottest, white is in the middle, red is the coolest]​
Blackbody radiation is not related to the quantization of atoms, but of the electromagnetic field. Placnk showed that the spectrum of a blackbody could be modeled by a collection of harmonic oscillators, each with a distinct frequency ##f##, if one postulated that each oscillator can only be excited in discrete amounts ##E = n h f##, with ##n## a positive integer and ##h## now known as Planck's constant. This results, for a given temperature, in the harmonic oscillators with a high frequency ##f## not being excited at all.

blue_lilly said:
Photo-Electric Effect
States that light can be viewed as particles. These partials of light are known as photons. A proton is a packet of light energy E=hƒ. Photons release electrons. As photons come in, the photon gives all its energy to an electron, and the electron comes out (Photon in, electron out)​
Just a comment: this links into the previous point about blackbody radiation, as it showed that this quantization of the EM field was fundamental, that these packets of energy actually existed, and that it was not just a mathematical trick to get the right blackbody spectrum.

blue_lilly said:
Radioactivity
Unstable isotopes have atomic particles that randomly decay over time. Decay relates to the half-life of the isotope. The decay causes biological damage to the cell at an atomic level.​
I don't know what "atomic particles" mean. It is the nucleus of the atom that decays. And I would say that the damage done is more at the molecular level than at the atomic level (but this is getting out of my area of knowledge).

blue_lilly said:
Relativity/Compton Scattering/Photo-Electric Effect
Relativity says that the speed of light was found by using the equation E=mc^2.
Wrong, see above.

blue_lilly said:
Compton Scattering says that photons (which are alpha particles[2 neutrons & 2 protons]) are mass-less.
No no no! Photons are the particles making up electromagnetic radiation. Alpha particles are nuclei of helium atoms, and are definitely massive!

blue_lilly said:
The Photo-Electric Effect says that light is made of packets of protons.
It is made up of photons, which can be seen as packets of energy.

blue_lilly said:
So if, Energy=mass*speed of light^2, and light is made up of photons which are mass-less, does that mean the speed of light have no energy? [E=mc^2 ; E=(zero)(3E8^2) ; E=zero][/INDENT]
"Speed of light" can't have "energy". See the post by The Austrian for the rest of the answer.

blue_lilly said:
Photo-Electric Effect
When it is talking about photons coming in and an electron coming out, that is talking a atom, right?​
It is photons (electromagnetic radiation, can be light) hitting a solid and removing an electron from an atom.

blue_lilly said:
Is the empty space in the electron cloud "made" of anything or is it just nothing-ness?​
Also, in the electron cloud, does the 'empty space' carry a negative charge as well? Or have any properties?​
Empty space is never completely empty (vacuum fluctuations), but let's keep it simple. Yes, you can consider that between the nucleus and the electron, there is nothing but empty space. But the lectron in an atom is not at a fixed position at any given time, but delocalized all around the nucleus. So you could also see the atom as a nucleus surrounded by a "spread" of electrons, with no real empty space at all. Empty space is electrically neutral.

Hello! It's great that you are studying for your physics final and have these questions about the theories we learned in class. I will try my best to provide a clear and concise explanation for each of your questions.

DeBroglie Wavelength:
In addition to wavelength and frequency, other wave properties that can be used with particles are phase, wave speed, and wave amplitude. These properties describe the behavior of particles as waves, which is important in understanding their movement and interactions with other particles.

Relativity/Compton Scattering/Photo-Electric Effect:
You are correct in stating that relativity says the speed of light was found using the equation E=mc^2, and that Compton Scattering shows that photons are mass-less. However, it is important to note that photons are not alpha particles (which are made up of 2 neutrons and 2 protons), but they are instead particles of light. The equation E=mc^2 can still be applied to photons, but since they have no mass, the energy (E) would be equal to zero.

In the Photo-Electric Effect, the process of a photon coming in and an electron coming out refers to an atom. This is because atoms are made up of a nucleus (containing protons and neutrons) and electrons orbiting around it. When a photon is absorbed by an atom, it can give enough energy to an electron to allow it to jump to a higher energy level. When the electron then falls back down to its original energy level, it releases a photon.

Black-body Radiation:
Your understanding of black-body radiation is correct. When a photon is absorbed, it can cause an electron to jump to a higher energy level, and when a photon is emitted, the electron will jump back down to a lower energy level. This is due to the quantized energy levels of atoms, meaning that electrons can only exist in specific energy levels. The energy of the photon must match the energy difference between the two levels in order for the electron to jump.

Rutherford Back-scattering:
The empty space in the electron cloud is not "made" of anything, it is simply the space where electrons can exist. It does not have any properties or carry a charge. The repelling force between electrons is due to the negative charge of the electrons, and this force is not transferred through the empty space. Instead, it is transmitted through the electromagnetic force, which is a fundamental force in nature. The concept

1. What is the electromagnetic spectrum and how does it relate to light?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all possible frequencies of electromagnetic radiation. This includes visible light, radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays. Light is a form of electromagnetic radiation that falls within the visible portion of the spectrum, with a wavelength range of 400-700 nanometers.

2. How do atoms interact with light?

Atoms interact with light through the absorption and emission of photons. When an atom absorbs a photon, it gains energy and can move to a higher energy state. When an atom emits a photon, it releases energy and moves to a lower energy state. This process is known as atomic spectroscopy and is the basis for many analytical techniques used in chemistry and physics.

3. What is the difference between classical and quantum theories of light?

Classical theories of light, such as the wave theory proposed by Thomas Young, describe light as a wave phenomenon. Quantum theories of light, such as the photon theory proposed by Max Planck, describe light as a particle. While both theories have their strengths and limitations, quantum theory has been more successful in explaining the behavior of light at the atomic level.

4. How do the principles of quantum mechanics explain the behavior of atoms?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that describes the behavior of matter and energy at the smallest scales, including atoms and subatomic particles. It explains how atoms can exist in different energy states and how they interact with each other and with light. The principles of quantum mechanics, such as wave-particle duality and uncertainty, provide a more accurate understanding of the behavior of atoms than classical theories.

5. How does the study of light and atoms contribute to our understanding of the universe?

The study of light and atoms is crucial to our understanding of the universe because everything we see, including stars, galaxies, and planets, is made up of atoms and interacts with light. By studying the properties and behavior of atoms and light, scientists can gain insights into the fundamental laws of nature and the structure and evolution of the universe. This knowledge has also led to practical applications, such as developing new technologies and improving our understanding of energy and matter.