Help understanding the formula for the total phase shift of a waveplate stack

In summary, the conversation discusses a paper that explores the use of waveplates in series to create a tunable broadband waveplate. The paper presents a formula for the Jones matrix of the stack of waveplates, which can be used to calculate the resulting phase shift between principle axes. The formula involves calculating the argument of the elements A and B in the Jones matrix, which can be done by using the arctan function. This formula does not require any assumptions about the initial polarization of the electromagnetic wave.
AwesomeTrains
TL;DR Summary
Looking for an explanation for a formula given in a paper for the total phase shift of a stack of relatively rotated waveplates.
I have problems deriving a formula in a paper I'm reading for a project. The paper is about putting a number of waveplates in series rotated relatively to each other to form a tuneable broadband waveplate. For the i-th waveplate the jones matrix is given by:
$$ J_{i}(\delta_i, \Theta_i)=
\begin{bmatrix}
\cos (\delta_i / 2) + i \cos (2 \Theta_i) \sin (\delta_i / 2) & i \sin (2 \Theta_i) \sin (\delta_i / 2) \\
i \sin (2 \Theta_i) \sin (\delta_i / 2) & \cos (\delta_i / 2) - i \cos (2 \Theta_i) \sin (\delta_i / 2)
\end{bmatrix}
$$
where ##\delta_i ## is the phase delay caused by the i-th waveplate and ##\Theta_i ## is its relative rotation angle.
Now they say that due to symmetry properties of waveplates (https://arxiv.org/pdf/1311.5556.pdf) the jones matrix of the stack of waveplates is given by:
$$
J = \prod_{i} J_i =
\begin{bmatrix}
A & B \\
-B^{*} & A^{*}
\end{bmatrix}
$$
Then they say that the resulting phase shift between principle axes is:
$$
\delta = 2\arctan \sqrt{\frac{|Im A|^2+|Im B|^2}{|Re A|^2 + |Re B|^2}}
$$
How is the last formula derived? Do you have to make assumptions about the initial polarization of the EM wave?

Physics news on Phys.org
A:I'm not sure if this is the full answer you are looking for but I think it may help.The Jones Matrix is used to represent a linear transformation of a two-dimensional vector, usually representing the polarization state of an electromagnetic wave.The elements A and B of the matrix you wrote can be written as:A=cos($\delta$/2)+i*cos(2$\theta$)*sin($\delta$/2)B=i*sin(2$\theta$)*sin($\delta$/2)where $\delta$ is the phase shift and $\theta$ is the relative rotation angle.In order to get the phase shift between principle axes, you need to calculate the argument of A, which is the phase shift. This is given by $\phi$=arg(A)=$\arctan$ (Im(A)/Re(A))In the case of A, Im(A)=cos(2$\theta$)*sin($\delta$/2) and Re(A)=cos($\delta$/2). Hence $\phi$=arg(A)=arctan(cos(2$\theta$)*sin($\delta$/2)/cos($\delta$/2)).The resulting phase shift between principle axes is then given by$\delta$=2$\phi$=2$\arctan$ (cos(2$\theta$)*sin($\delta$/2)/cos($\delta$/2))Similarly, the argument of B can be calculated, which is$\psi$=arg(B)=arctan(Im(B)/Re(B))In the case of B, Im(B)=sin(2$\theta$)*sin($\delta$/2) and Re(B)=0. Hence $\psi$=arg(B)=arctan(sin(2$\theta$)*sin($\delta$/2)/0).The resulting phase shift between principle axes is then given by$\delta$=2$\phi$+2$\psi$=2$\arctan$ (cos(2$\theta

1. What is a waveplate stack?

A waveplate stack is a series of multiple waveplates stacked together to manipulate the polarization state of light.

2. What is the formula for calculating the total phase shift of a waveplate stack?

The formula for the total phase shift of a waveplate stack is given by: Φ = 2π(n1d1 + n2d2 + ... + nNdN)/λ, where Φ is the total phase shift, n is the refractive index of each waveplate, d is the thickness of each waveplate, and λ is the wavelength of light.

3. How does the number of waveplates in a stack affect the total phase shift?

The number of waveplates in a stack directly affects the total phase shift. As the number of waveplates increases, the total phase shift also increases.

4. Can you explain the significance of the refractive index and thickness in the formula?

The refractive index and thickness of each waveplate determine the amount of phase shift that occurs when light passes through it. The refractive index is a measure of how much light is slowed down when passing through the material, while the thickness determines the distance the light travels through the material. Together, they determine the total phase shift of the waveplate stack.

5. How is the total phase shift of a waveplate stack used in practical applications?

The total phase shift of a waveplate stack is used in various optical systems, such as polarimeters and optical isolators, to manipulate the polarization state of light. It is also used in telecommunications, laser technology, and other fields where precise control of light polarization is necessary.