Help with a conservation of momentum problem

In summary, the problem involves a bullet with a mass of 15 g being fired from a rifle with a velocity of 220 m/s. The question is asking for the recoil velocity of the rifle. The formula used is Mass of the gun*Velocity of the gun + Mass of the bullet*Velocity of the bullet = 0, and after converting the mass of the bullet to kilograms, the answer is found to be -.22 m/s. Standard units for mass should be in kilograms.
tommyboy2
A 15 g bullet is fired is fired with a velocity of 220 m/s from a 6.5 kg rifle. What is the recoil velocity of the rifle?

That is the problem

I think i use the formula...

This half of the equation equals zero due to the initial velocity equaling zero = Mass of the gun*Velocity of the gun + Mass of the bullet*Velocity of the bullet

I ended up getting -.22 m/s

i converted the 15 g to kilograms I was not sure if it should have been grams or kilograms for this problem

Any help I would be greatful.

Physics news on Phys.org
tommyboy2 said:
This half of the equation equals zero due to the initial velocity equaling zero = Mass of the gun*Velocity of the gun + Mass of the bullet*Velocity of the bullet
That's good.

I ended up getting -.22 m/s
Show how you got that answer.

i converted the 15 g to kilograms I was not sure if it should have been grams or kilograms for this problem
Standard units for mass would be kilograms.

Alright thanks I thought that was the correct formula, what i was not sure about was the units thanks.

What is the conservation of momentum?

The conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, meaning that the total amount of momentum before an event must be equal to the total amount of momentum after the event.

Why is the conservation of momentum important?

The conservation of momentum is important because it allows us to predict the behavior of objects in motion and to understand the interactions between objects. It is also a foundational principle in many areas of physics and engineering, including mechanics, thermodynamics, and fluid dynamics.

How do you solve a conservation of momentum problem?

To solve a conservation of momentum problem, you need to first identify the system of objects that are interacting and determine the initial and final momenta of each object. Then, you can use the conservation of momentum equation (pi = pf) to set up and solve equations to find the final velocities of the objects.

What are some real-world applications of conservation of momentum?

The conservation of momentum has many real-world applications, including rocket propulsion, collisions in sports, and car safety. It is also used in the design and operation of many everyday objects, such as elevators, cars, and roller coasters.

Can the conservation of momentum be violated?

The conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics and has been extensively tested and verified through experiments. It is considered to be a universal law and cannot be violated in a closed system. However, in certain cases, such as when external forces are present, the conservation of momentum may appear to be violated.