Help with a device like a salad spinner

• Thread starter SaabGuy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Device
In summary: To reword the question: Take a plunger style spinning top, rotate the plunger 90 degrees and place it inside the spinning top. Now what mechanism will translate the force of pressing down on the plunger to spinning...the top or the plunger?
SaabGuy
How did you find PF?: Google search

I would like to discuss a simple mechanical system for a project of mine. Here it is if anyone can solve it:
Allow me to explain what is required. The circle needs to spin via a downward force represented by the black arrow. The red arrow is the direction the downward force needs to be translated to. Think of it as a push salad spinner or a plunger spinning top. And just like those two objects, once the downward force is released, the circle keeps spinning, and continued application of downward force increases the speed of the circle (just like a salad spinner or plunger style spinning top). The rules are:
- The mechanism has to be extremely simple and compact
- Be able to fit in your pocket
- The parts all have to be inside the circle
Screen Shot 2021-09-03 at 10.31.39 AM.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Is this project for schoolwork?

Can you show us your work so far on this project?

It is for a school related project, it's a very open project. I have been trying to think of the mechanism that would allow the desired movements. I'm posting on here to see if there is anyone who has experience and would know off the top of their head how to do it.

Thanks.

I'll move your thread to our schoolwork forums then. And for schoolwork projects especially, you are expected to show lots of work before we can offer tutorial help. Can you say how each of the example mechanisms that you mentioned would need to be modified to work in this project?

SaabGuy said:
It is for a school related project, it's a very open project. I have been trying to think of the mechanism that would allow the desired movements. I'm posting on here to see if there is anyone who has experience and would know off the top of their head how to do it.

Thanks.
Do you mean literally that everything must be inside the circle, there is no mechanism outside and the force must be downward? What kind of size is this to be? Do you have a first attempt at a solution or at least an idea?

Also, so far your simple diagram is 2-D. Can you post a 3-D sketch of how the plunger relates to the spinning thing? What resists the downward force on the plunger?

bob012345 said:
Do you mean literally that everything must be inside the circle, there is no mechanism outside and the force must be downward? Do you have a first attempt at a solution or at least an idea?
Correct, everything is to be inside of the circle, no mechanisms outside of the circle. The force must be downwards, or to be more specific, towards the centre of the circle.
Here is a crude diagram of something that may work.
1630683952733.png

SaabGuy said:
Correct, everything is to be inside of the circle, no mechanisms outside of the circle. The force must be downwards, or to be more specific, towards the centre of the circle.
Here is a crude diagram of something that may work.
View attachment 288533
But then wouldn't the plunger, if that's what you use, be at least partly outside? Please draw the circle in relation to the mechanisms? Is it more like a circular case with a certain thickness? Is it flexible or deformable? Thanks.

berkeman said:
Also, so far your simple diagram is 2-D. Can you post a 3-D sketch of how the plunger relates to the spinning thing? What resists the downward force on the plunger?
I have been trying to learn Fusion360, I will try my best to provide a 3D sketch. But for the time being, I am thinking of a simple gear system that will spin the outer circle. I just can't piece it fully together in my head.

SaabGuy said:
I have been trying to learn Fusion360, I will try my best to provide a 3D sketch. But for the time being, I am thinking of a simple gear system that will spin the outer circle. I just can't piece it fully together in my head.
A simple paper sketch would be fine for now.

bob012345 said:
But then wouldn't the plunger, if that's what you use, be at least partly outside? Please draw the circle in relation to the mechanisms? Is it more like a circular case with a certain thickness? Is it flexible or deformable? Thanks.
To reword the question: Take a plunger style spinning top, rotate the plunger 90 degrees and place it inside the spinning top. Now what mechanism will translate the force of pressing down on the plunger to spinning the spinning top. Difficult question I know! lol. Need to think outside the box on this one.

SaabGuy said:
To reword the question: Take a plunger style spinning top, rotate the plunger 90 degrees and place it inside the spinning top. Now what mechanism will translate the force of pressing down on the plunger to spinning the spinning top. Difficult question I know! lol. Need to think outside the box on this one.
I'm sure we have ideas but what can you think of? Also, how big is the device and must there be a plunger? Is that part of the rules?

bob012345 said:
I'm sure we have ideas but what can you think of? How big is the device? Also, must there be a plunger? Is that part of the rules?
Pocket size, no plunger, that was simply an example. The core of the idea here is to just get a circle spinning from pushing something towards the center of the circle, all on one axis.

SaabGuy said:
Pocket size, no plunger, that was simply an example. The core of the idea here is to just get a circle spinning from pushing something towards the center of the circle, all on one axis.
How does the action of pushing something not interfere with the spinning circumference/edge of the disk?

berkeman said:
How does the action of pushing something not interfere with the spinning circumference/edge of the disk?
I'm still trying to figure that out. But I do enjoy talking about it and thinking it through!

Likes bob012345
SaabGuy said:
I'm still trying to figure that out. But I do enjoy talking about it and thinking it through!
Do you have an official rule sheet from this project you can share with us?

Likes berkeman
bob012345 said:
Do you have an official rule sheet from this project you can share with us?
No I do not, just that it has to be a novel creation... Hence the difficulty. But I feel like such a device does exist, it does not seem enormously complex..

SaabGuy said:
No I do not, just that it has to be a novel creation... Hence the difficulty. But I feel like such a device does exist, it does not seem enormously complex..
I think you will come up with something but it really has to be your idea. If we just tell you what to do it won't help your education.

SaabGuy said:
No I do not, just that it has to be a novel creation...
That's a little hard to believe for me. In my design classes in University, the project definitions (even for very creative projects) did have several constraints to them. What class is this for?

1. How does a salad spinner work?

A salad spinner works by using centrifugal force to remove excess water from washed salad greens. The greens are placed in a basket inside the spinner, which is then spun rapidly by a hand crank or button. The spinning motion causes the water to be forced out through small holes in the basket, leaving the greens dry and ready to eat.

2. Can a salad spinner be used for other foods besides salad greens?

Yes, a salad spinner can be used for other foods such as berries, herbs, and even pasta. It is especially useful for delicate foods that need to be dried without being crushed or damaged.

3. How do I clean and maintain a salad spinner?

To clean a salad spinner, simply disassemble the parts and wash them with warm soapy water. Be sure to dry all parts thoroughly before reassembling. It is also important to regularly check and clean the spinner's gears and mechanism to ensure it continues to work properly.

4. Are all salad spinners the same size?

No, salad spinners come in various sizes and capacities. Some are designed for personal use while others are larger and more suitable for commercial kitchens. When purchasing a salad spinner, be sure to consider the size and capacity that will best suit your needs.

5. Can a salad spinner be used to store salad?

While some salad spinners come with a lid for storage, it is not recommended to use a salad spinner as a long-term storage solution for salad. The basket and bowl may not provide enough protection from air and moisture, leading to wilting and spoilage. It is best to transfer the salad to an airtight container for storage.