Help with Bernoulli's equation for a central heating system

In summary, Shaun found that the velocity for the 15 mm pipe is 1.01859 m/s and for the 25 mm pipe, the velocity is 2.82942 m/s. He also found that the pressure in the pipe is 2.71 bar. However, he is still unsure of how to find the velocity and pressure in the radiators. If he can answer these questions, he should be able to figure out the pressure.
ShaunG123
Homework Statement
Scenario

You are required to show that the central heating system in a show house for a new estate has sufficient flow for upstairs and downstairs, to achieve the most effective heating possible.
The effective flow area in each radiator is 34 x 10-5 m2. The internal diameter of the pipes exiting the boiler is 25 mm and the internal diameter of all other piping is 15 mm.

The height from the boiler pump, situated in the garage beneath the first floor, to the downstairs radiators is 2.5 m (h2). The upstairs radiator is
2.75 m (h1) above the first floor radiators. The circulating fluid is a mixture of water and scale inhibitor, which has a relative density of 0.965.

If the average outlet pressure from the boiler is 1.7 bar gauge and the volume flow rate is 0.50 litres/second, calculate the pressure and velocity of the fluid in the system in the two different sized pipes and the radiators.
Relevant Equations
Bernoullis
so far I have found the velocity 1 and 2 by dividing the volume flow rate over the area which I got from pi x dia squared/4 my v1 = 1.01859m/s and v2= 2.82942m/s i have then figured out a pressure for the 15mm pipe which i got an answer of 2.71 bar however i am stuck on the rest of the question and how to find the radiators pressure and velocitie

Attachments

• bernoullis.jpg
    bernoullis.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 398
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ShaunG. Welcome to PF!

If you can answer these questions, you should be able to figure out the pressure. What is the flow rate through the radiators? How is that related to area of the pipe (effective area is given) and velocity? How is pressure related to velocity?

AM

Likes ShaunG123
Hello Shaun, ##\qquad## :welcome: ##\qquad##!
ShaunG123 said:
v1 = 1.01859m/s and v2= 2.82942m/s
I assume v1 is at the 15 mm pipe , v2 is at the 25 mm, but what about the radiators ?
What is this 34 x 10-5 m2 anyway ?
And why not start writing down Bernoulli's equation using your variables ?

(I'll refrain from commenting on the 6 digits -- these are intermediate results.)

Hi Andrew thanks for your reply all the information is in the above scenario I must calculate the velocities of each pipe which I have done and the pressure in the pipe and radiators. the velocities should be the same throughout the pipes I believe I am just unsure how to calculate the pressure and the velocity in the radiators. and do I actually need the radiator flow area (34x10-5) or is it just there to throw me

ShaunG123 said:
Hi Andrew thanks for your reply all the information is in the above scenario I must calculate the velocities of each pipe which I have done and the pressure in the pipe and radiators. the velocities should be the same throughout the pipes I believe I am just unsure how to calculate the pressure and the velocity in the radiators. and do I actually need the radiator flow area (34x10-5) or is it just there to throw me
Answer BvU's question about "what is this 34 x 10-5"? If the flow rate through the radiators (volume/time) is x, how is x related to the effective cross-sectional pipe area (A) and velocity (v = ds/dt)? How is that related to pressure?

AM

I believe you use that to find a velocity for the radiator using Q/FLOW AREA = VELOCITY therefore working pressure out with the remaining data

Correct

AM

What is Bernoulli's equation and how does it relate to central heating systems?

Bernoulli's equation is a fundamental principle in fluid mechanics that describes the relationship between pressure, velocity, and elevation in a fluid flow. In the context of a central heating system, Bernoulli's equation can be used to analyze the flow of air or water through the system and determine the pressure and velocity at different points.

How is Bernoulli's equation applied in central heating systems?

In central heating systems, Bernoulli's equation is often used to determine the pressure drop in pipes or ducts due to friction and to calculate the required pump or fan power to maintain a certain flow rate. It can also be used to analyze the efficiency of a system and identify potential issues such as blockages or leaks.

What are the assumptions made in applying Bernoulli's equation in central heating systems?

Some of the common assumptions made when using Bernoulli's equation in central heating systems include assuming the fluid is incompressible, the flow is steady and laminar, and there are no external forces acting on the fluid. These assumptions are often simplified for practical applications, but can still provide useful insights into the system's behavior.

Can Bernoulli's equation be used to calculate the temperature in a central heating system?

No, Bernoulli's equation only relates to the pressure, velocity, and elevation of the fluid in a system. To calculate the temperature, other equations and principles, such as the ideal gas law, need to be considered. However, Bernoulli's equation can be used to analyze the flow of heat and determine the efficiency of a central heating system.

What are the limitations of using Bernoulli's equation in central heating systems?

While Bernoulli's equation is a powerful tool for analyzing fluid flow, it has some limitations when applied to central heating systems. These include neglecting the effects of turbulence, compressibility, and changes in fluid properties. Additionally, it assumes ideal conditions and may not accurately reflect the real-world behavior of a system.