Help with building the brake a car for a physics project

In summary, the conversation discusses building a vehicle that can transport a battery 7 meters in a straight line as fast as possible using potential energy of no more than two kilograms falling from a maximum height of 80.0 cm. The proposed design is a brake system using a threaded rod, wing nut, and rubber washers to stop the axle from turning. Balsa wood is recommended as the material for the car. The conversation ends with a request for help and recommendations.
michellex
i have to build a vehicle that can transport a battery 7 meters in a straight line as fast as possible using the potential enerygy of no more than two kilograms falling from a maximum height of 80.0 cm.

i want to build this brake:

http://www.scioly.org/w/images/1/19/SC-brake2diag.gif
http://www.scioly.org/w/images/4/46/SC-brake2.gif

"This system is very popular among competitors. While only slightly more complicated than the string method, it is more consistent. The basic concept of this design is using a threaded rod for the axle, placing a nut (usually a wing nut is used) on the axle. As the wheels rotate the rotating motion is transferred into horizontal motion of a wing nut moving it along the axle. When the wing nut reaches a barrier, it will no longer be able to move, and thus stops the axle from turning. The distance is set by setting how far the wing nut starts from the barrier and is usually measured in rotations of the wheels. While as described the system is still vulnerable to skid, it can be minimized by carefully choosing a material for the barrier that the wing nut engages during the stopping motion. By choosing something rubbery many teams achieved a gradual locking of the wheels, which effectively eliminated any skid inherent to the system. The wing nut also adds some friction to the axle, thus the car may not roll as smoothly or as far. "

and i am absolutely desperate because i don't know how to build it! if someone could recommend the wood to make the car out of. i was thinking balsa wood since it's light. i bought a 1/4" diameter threaded rod and wingnut and rubber washers but i don't know how to put the thing together!

i will be SO SO SO SO absolutely grateful to anyone that can give me any ideas or help!

thanks so much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
michellex said:
and i am absolutely desperate because i don't know how to build it! if someone could recommend the wood to make the car out of
Yes, balsa is your best bet. There is another wood, ceiba / Ceiba pentandra that would be as good or possibly better but the problem is that it is not easily available so I'd go with balsa

What is the purpose of building a brake for a car for a physics project?

The purpose of building a brake for a car in a physics project is to demonstrate the principles of motion, force, and energy conservation. By understanding how brakes work, students can gain a better understanding of how these concepts apply to real-life situations.

What materials are needed to build a brake for a car?

Materials needed for building a brake for a car will depend on the type of brake system being used, but some common materials may include a brake disc or rotor, brake pads, calipers, brake lines, and brake fluid. Other materials such as tools, safety equipment, and materials for constructing the car itself may also be required.

What are the different types of brake systems that can be used for a car?

There are several types of brake systems that can be used for a car, such as disc brakes, drum brakes, regenerative brakes, and anti-lock brakes. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the choice will depend on factors like cost, performance, and availability of materials.

What are the steps involved in building a brake for a car?

The steps for building a brake for a car will vary depending on the type of brake system being used, but some common steps may include designing the brake system, gathering materials, assembling the components, testing and adjusting the brake, and ensuring proper safety measures are in place. It is important to follow instructions carefully and seek guidance from a teacher or experienced individual if needed.

What are some potential challenges or safety concerns when building a brake for a car?

Some potential challenges when building a brake for a car may include selecting the right materials and ensuring proper functionality and safety of the brake system. It is important to follow safety precautions and guidelines, as well as seek advice from a teacher or experienced individual. Testing the brake system carefully and regularly is also crucial to ensure it is functioning properly and to avoid any potential accidents.