Help with calculating tank weight wooden stand can handle

In summary, the conversation discusses the safety and stability of using a wooden stand with only edge support for a glass aquarium that can hold up to 500 kgs of water. Suggestions are made to ask the manufacturer for more information and to consider the structural integrity of the floor where the tank will be placed. Ultimately, it is recommended to purchase the designated stand for the tank for added safety.
Togmeny
Hi everyone,

I am new here... please forgive me if my posting is imperfect :p

I am planning to purchase a glass aquarium with tank dimensions: 48" (Length) * 24" (Depth) * 22" (Height)

I wonder if a wooden stand with only edge support will be able to withstand the weight of the filled aquarium which at full capacity should be about 500 kgs, though i plan to fill up to only 380 kgs max.

It does not have any beam support bottom of the tank.

A picture of the stand and tank is attached, the bottom tank is supposed to go on the top rack.

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• 20170222_124426.jpg
    20170222_124426.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 394
Engineering news on Phys.org
Ask the manufacturer of the wooden stand. It is impossible to tell just by looking at an image of it. If in doubt, use something stronger.

You should also consider the ground, i.e. the statics of your apartment. If the weight is concentrated on single points, this might be a problem.

(1) If sitting on a rigid concrete floor undisturbed then it would probably be ok forever .

(2) If sitting in an apartment with a flexible floor and lots of disturbances then it would very probably collapse sooner or later . Sway mode collapse would be most likely .

(3) Don't risk it . Consequences of failure might be much more costly than getting a better stand .

(4) Engineers logic is that if you don't know whether a structure is safe or not then it isn't .

Likes anorlunda and fresh_42
Nidum said:
(4) Engineers logic is that if you don't know whether a structure is safe or not then it isn't .
Well said.

@Togmeny -- It looks like you can buy the stand that is shown with the tank. That is your best bet. Thread is closed.

1. How do I calculate the weight a wooden tank stand can handle?

To calculate the weight a wooden tank stand can handle, you will need to know the density of the wood, the dimensions of the stand, and the maximum weight the stand can support per square inch. First, find the volume of the stand by multiplying its length, width, and height. Then, multiply the volume by the density of the wood to find the weight of the stand itself. Next, multiply the area of the top of the stand by the maximum weight it can support per square inch. Finally, add the weight of the stand itself to the weight it can support per square inch to get the total weight the stand can handle.

2. What is the maximum weight a wooden tank stand can support per square inch?

The maximum weight a wooden tank stand can support per square inch depends on the type and quality of the wood used, as well as the design and construction of the stand. It is important to consult with a structural engineer or follow manufacturer guidelines to determine the specific weight limit for your wooden tank stand.

3. Can I use any type of wood for a tank stand?

No, not all types of wood are suitable for a tank stand. It is important to choose a strong and durable wood, such as oak or maple, that can support the weight of the tank and withstand potential water damage. It is also recommended to avoid using pressure-treated wood, as it may contain harmful chemicals that can leach into the tank water.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should consider when calculating tank weight for a wooden stand?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to keep in mind when calculating the weight a wooden tank stand can handle. First, make sure to account for the weight of the tank when calculating the total weight the stand can handle. Additionally, consider the weight distribution of the tank and make sure the stand is strong enough to support it evenly. It is also important to regularly inspect the stand for any signs of wear or damage.

5. Can I make changes to the stand design to increase its weight capacity?

No, it is not recommended to make any changes to the stand design to increase its weight capacity without consulting a structural engineer. Altering the design may compromise the structural integrity of the stand and could potentially lead to accidents or damage to the tank. It is best to follow manufacturer guidelines or seek professional advice when making modifications to a tank stand.