Help with calculus problem- differentiability, continuity, with variables

Solve those simultaneously. In summary, the values for m and a that make the function continuous and differentiable at x=1 are 3a+4=m and m=2a+3, which can be solved simultaneously to find the specific values for m and a.
meredith

Homework Statement

y=
y= {1+3ax+2x^2} if x is < or = 1
{mx+a} if x>0
what values for m and a make x continuous and differentiable at 1?

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

i solved for when x=1.
i got 3+3a.
this is also the right hand limit. i kow you have to set the two limits equal for it to be continuous. so i got 3a+3=m+a. m=2a+3.
but honestly i don't know where to go from there. i know that i have to take the derivative of those two equations too. but i don't even kow what to say too many variables!
thanks in advance!
mer

Physics news on Phys.org
For [tex]f(x)[/tex] to be continuous at

[tex]x=a[/tex]

we must have

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow a}f(x)=f(x)[/tex]

So, using your system of inequalities, you need to have

[tex]f(a)=\lim_{x\rightarrow a^-}f(x) \mbox{(i.e. where f(x) < a)}=\lim_{x\rightarrow a^+}f(x)\mbox{(i.e. where f(x) > a)}[/tex]

(NOTE: From left to right, the weird semi-colon and the upside down question mark are supposed to denote "smaller than" and "bigger than" symbols respectively. Don't know why Latex is playing with me.)

Does that help?

Last edited:
meredith said:

Homework Statement

y=
y= {1+3ax+2x^2} if x is < or = 1
{mx+a} if x>0
what values for m and a make x continuous and differentiable at 1?

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

i solved for when x=1.
i got 3+3a.
this is also the right hand limit. i kow you have to set the two limits equal for it to be continuous. so i got 3a+3=m+a. m=2a+3.
but honestly i don't know where to go from there. i know that i have to take the derivative of those two equations too. but i don't even kow what to say too many variables!
thanks in advance!
mer
You haven't yet used the requirement that the function be differentiable at x= 1. While a derivative does not have to be continuous itself, it must satisfy the "intermediate value property" which, among other things, means that, as long as the derivative exists, it must be equal to the right and left hand limits.
The derivative of 1+ 3ax+ 2x2 is 3a+ 4x and, at x= 1, that is 3a+ 4. The derivative of m so, in order that this function be differentiable at x=1, you must have 3a+ 4= m. That, together with m= 2a+ 3 gives you 2 equations to solve for m and a.

Related to Help with calculus problem- differentiability, continuity, with variables

1. What is differentiability in calculus?

Differentiability is a mathematical concept that measures the smoothness of a function. In simple terms, it means that the function has a well-defined derivative at every point in its domain.

2. How can I determine if a function is differentiable?

A function is differentiable if it has a continuous derivative at every point in its domain. This means that the function must be defined and have a unique value at every point, and the limit of the difference quotient (the slope of the tangent line) must exist at every point.

3. What is continuity in calculus?

Continuity is another mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function. A function is continuous if it has no breaks or jumps in its graph and can be drawn without lifting the pen from the paper. In other words, the limit of the function as it approaches a point must be equal to the value of the function at that point.

4. How can I determine if a function is continuous?

A function is continuous if it is defined and has a unique value at every point in its domain, and the limit of the function as it approaches a point is equal to the value of the function at that point. Additionally, the function must have no breaks, holes, or jumps in its graph.

5. How do variables affect differentiability and continuity in calculus?

Variables can affect differentiability and continuity in calculus by changing the behavior of a function. For example, a function may be differentiable at some points but not others depending on the value of the variable. Similarly, the continuity of a function may be affected by the presence of variables, especially in cases where the function has breaks or jumps at certain points depending on the value of the variable.