Help with calculus problem with logarithm base e

In summary, the conversation is about finding the intervals where the function f(x) = e^(2x) - 2e^x is concave and convex. The speaker has derived the first and second derivatives of the function and is trying to determine the critical value and test values to show that the answer is x = ln 0.5. They have made a mistake in simplifying the equation but have now corrected it and can continue with solving for x.
linapril
I'm at one of those annoying stages where you know what the answer is, but you just can't seem to prove it... Would really appreciate some help with this one!

The question is:
What are the intervals where function f(x)=e2x-2ex is concave and convex respectively.

I have derived f(x) to get
f'(x)=2e2x-2ex which I derived again to get the second derative:
f''(x) = 4e2x-2ex

After which I put up the equation
f''(x) = 0, since this determines the inflection point
which becomes 4e2x-2ex=0

This is where I get stuck. I know have to find the value of x, and then test values bigger and smaller of it using the equations for concave/convex parabolas, and I'm pretty sure that the answer is x=ln 0.5 but I just don't seem to be able to show it.. Logarithms was never my thing it appears.

Either way, I tried doing this
2(2e2x-ex)=0
2e2x-ex=0
2e2x=ex
2x ln 2e = x ln e

And this is where I don't know how to continue..

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Help with calculus problem with logarithm base e!

You have correctly differentiated to get the second derivative:

\(\displaystyle f''(x)=4e^{2x}-2e^x\)

You factored, but you didn't factor completely. Consider:

\(\displaystyle f''(x)=2e^x\left(2e^x-1 \right)\)

Now equate that to zero to determine the critical value. which you are correct about, but you can show it using the above form. What do you find?

I'm not quite sure I understand... Why does 2ex times 2ex equal 4e2x?
And also, If I weren't to factorise I would continue with
4e2x-2ex=0
4e2x=2ex
Is it incorrect to simplify this to
2e2x=ex
And if so, why?

linapril said:
I'm not quite sure I understand... Why does 2ex times 2ex equal 4e2x?
And also, If I weren't to factorise I would continue with
4e2x-2ex=0
4e2x=2ex
Is it incorrect to simplify this to
2e2x=ex
And if so, why?

Recall the property of exponents:

\(\displaystyle a^b\cdot a^c=a^{b+c}\)

You could continue as you did to get:

\(\displaystyle 4e^{2x}=2e^x\)

Now, what happens if you multiply through by \(\displaystyle \frac{e^{-x}}{2}\)? Are you in danger of multiplying through by zero in doing so? What does the above property of exponents yield?

linapril said:
I'm at one of those annoying stages where you know what the answer is, but you just can't seem to prove it... Would really appreciate some help with this one!

The question is:
What are the intervals where function f(x)=e2x-2ex is concave and convex respectively.

I have derived f(x) to get
f'(x)=2e2x-2ex which I derived again to get the second derative:
f''(x) = 4e2x-2ex

After which I put up the equation
f''(x) = 0, since this determines the inflection point
which becomes 4e2x-2ex=0

This is where I get stuck. I know have to find the value of x, and then test values bigger and smaller of it using the equations for concave/convex parabolas, and I'm pretty sure that the answer is x=ln 0.5 but I just don't seem to be able to show it.. Logarithms was never my thing it appears.

Either way, I tried doing this
2(2e2x-ex)=0
2e2x-ex=0
2e2x=ex
2x ln 2e = x ln e

And this is where I don't know how to continue..

I think you have a mistake in going from this line:

$2e^{2x} = e^x$

to this line:

$2x \ln(2e) = x\ln(e)$

If we take logarithms of both sides, we get:

$\ln(2e^{2x}) = \ln(e^x)$

the right-hand side is $x$ since $\ln$ and $e^{(\_)}$ are inverse functions.

The left-hand side is:

$\ln(2\cdot e^{2x}) = \ln(2) + \ln(e^{2x}) = \ln(2) + 2x$

So your equation becomes:

$\ln(2) + 2x = x$

Which should be easy to solve for $x$.

Ahaaa, I get it now! Thank you so much!

Related to Help with calculus problem with logarithm base e

What is a logarithm base e?

A logarithm base e, also known as a natural logarithm, is a mathematical function that represents the power to which the number e (approximately 2.71828) must be raised to equal a given number. It is denoted as ln(x) or loge(x).

How do I solve a calculus problem involving logarithms base e?

To solve a calculus problem involving logarithms base e, you can use the properties of logarithms, such as the product rule, quotient rule, and power rule. You can also use the change of base formula to convert logarithms base e to logarithms with other bases, such as base 10 or base 2, which may be easier to work with.

What are the common applications of logarithms base e in calculus?

Logarithms base e have many applications in calculus, such as in exponential growth and decay problems, finding slopes of curves, and solving differential equations. They are also used in the study of logarithmic functions, which are commonly used in finance, biology, and physics.

Can you provide an example of a calculus problem involving logarithms base e?

Sure, here is an example: Find the derivative of y = ln(x2 + 1). Using the chain rule, we get y' = 2x / (x2 + 1). This can be further simplified using the quotient rule to y' = (2x2 - 2x) / (x2 + 1).

What are some tips for solving calculus problems involving logarithms base e?

Here are some tips for solving calculus problems involving logarithms base e:

• Be familiar with the properties of logarithms, such as the product rule, quotient rule, and power rule.
  • Use the change of base formula to convert logarithms base e to other bases, if needed.
  • When using the chain rule, make sure to differentiate the inside function first.
  • Check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation.