Help with conceptual questions

• Thread starter Tommymkea
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conceptual
In summary, the conversation is about someone struggling with understanding quantum physics concepts and asking for help and advice from others. The questions being discussed are about the experiment that confirms light is radiated and absorbed in discrete amounts, the interference pattern that occurs when light is passed through two narrow openings, and three examples of how the Universe works that seem bizarre in terms of our common sense. The person asking for help has already done some research but is still having trouble understanding the concepts and is hoping to get some clarification and guidance from others.
Tommymkea
Hi all,

I'm a little confused in answering these quantum physics based questions, as in order to give an answer I must support it with physics concepts. Here are they are:

1. What experiment confirms that light is radiated and absorbed in discrete amounts? Explain briefly how the experiment works and the theory behind it.

2. When light is passed through two narrow openings, an interference pattern happens. How does this support the wave theory of light, and why is this such a big deal when this is compared with the photoelectric effect?

3. Based on "factual" evidence, give three examples of how the Universe works that seem bizarre in terms of our common sense.

My approach to the problems: I'm not a physics major and the course I'm taking is not on advanced physics. Thus, all that my instructor did was showing us a video from the internet on the double-slit experiment and a cartoon about a guy called Dt Quantum. It was a good video.. but it only gives you insights on concepts and not the actual concepts themselves. Anyways, I am not sure if the double-slit experiment would be a possible answer, as right now it's hard for me to make any sense out of it and find the theory behind it.

Hope to acquire some knowledge from some of you,

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
how about using google, or the library. Then try to formulate answers to the questions yourself, and write them here, and someone will check them.

You have to do the hard work yourself, and we help you. This is how things works here.

I was looking from some direct help as (since I already check my book and the internet) even if I read the information, it is all explain in a very specific language, which makes it very hard for me to understand what its meaning. I believe I misunderstood the forum policies.

Thank you anyways

You might google things like: light quanta, photoelectric effect, and young's double slit experiment. for 1 and 2. Three is harder. Strange Universe may get you somewhere.

Related to Help with conceptual questions

1. What is the purpose of conceptual questions?

Conceptual questions are designed to test your understanding and comprehension of a particular concept or theory. They help to assess your critical thinking skills and ability to apply knowledge in different scenarios.

2. How can I improve my understanding of conceptual questions?

The best way to improve your understanding of conceptual questions is to actively engage with the material. This can include attending lectures, taking thorough notes, asking questions, and completing practice problems or quizzes.

3. Can I use outside resources to help me answer conceptual questions?

Yes, you can use outside resources such as textbooks, online articles, or peer-reviewed journals to help you answer conceptual questions. However, it is important to properly cite any sources and ensure that you understand the material and can explain it in your own words.

4. How do I approach a difficult conceptual question?

The best approach to a difficult conceptual question is to break it down into smaller parts and consider each component individually. You can also try to relate the question to real-life examples or draw diagrams to help visualize the concept. If you are still struggling, don't be afraid to ask for help from a teacher or classmate.

5. Are conceptual questions more important than factual questions?

No, both conceptual and factual questions are important in assessing your understanding of a subject. While conceptual questions focus on your understanding and application of concepts, factual questions test your knowledge of specific information. It is important to have a strong grasp of both in order to fully understand a subject.