Help with deriving the Casimir Effect?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the final step in deriving the energy density of the Casimir effect. The individual has added a third plate and moved it away to infinity to eliminate the infinite values. They are trying to understand why they added the energy densities between the first and second plate and second and third plate in their notes. The analogy given is that of a window in a room, where air pressure inside the room is taken into account but outside air pressure is neglected.
21joanna12
I am at the very last part of a relatively long derivation of the Casimir effect, and I just don't understand the final step D:

So far, I have derived the ground state energy to be [itex]\langle 0| \hat{H} |0\rangle = \delta (0) \int _{-\infty}^{\infty} dp \frac{1}{2} E[/itex]

And for a massless field using Plank units and using [itex]E=\sqrt{p^2+m^2}[/itex], then [itex]E=p[/itex]. Between the two parallel plates, only virtual particles of discrete [itex]p[/itex] can exist which are [itex]p=\frac{h}{\lambda}[/itex] and using [itex]\hbar=1[/itex] and [itex]\lambda=\frac{2d}{n}[/itex] where [itex]d[/itex] is the distance between the parallel plates. This means that the summation becomes [itex]\frac{\pi}{2d} \sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty}n[/itex] which I find by assuming [itex]\sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty}n=\sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty}ne^{-an}=-\frac{d}{da}\sum\limits_{n=0}^{\infty}e^{-an}[/itex] Which gave the sum to infinity of [itex]\frac{e^a}{e^a-1)^2[/itex]

Using the Taylor expansions, the first two terms of this result are [itex]\frac{1}{a^2}-\frac{1}{12}[/itex] and subsequent terms are irrelevant because I take [itex]a\rightarrow 0[/itex] for the sum to become the sum of all natural numbers. Placing [itex]\frac{a\pi}{d}[/itex] for [itex]a[/itex], this gives the sum [itex]\frac{\pi}{d}\sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty}n[/itex]. So when I put this result back in, I get that the energy density of the vacuum (assuming that [itex]\delta(0)[/itex] corresponds to the volume of space, is [itex]\frac{d}{2\pi a^2}-\frac{\pi}{24d}[/itex].

Okay, so this is the part that I don't get. To eliminate the infinity, I considered adding a third plate and moving it away to infinity, so the lengths are as shown:

___L (from first to third plate)
|___|____|
d___L-d

Now here I want to find the relative energy density between the plates, take the derivative with respect to d to find the force, and move L away to infinity to remove the infinities. My problem is that, looking back over my notes, I have added the energy densities between the first and second plate and second and third plate to give

[itex]E(d)=\frac{d}{2\pi a^2} -\frac{\pi}{24d} +\frac{L-d}{2\pi a^2}-\frac{\pi}{24(L-d0}[/itex] which works out because then using [itex]F=-E'(d)[/itex] gives the force being [itex]-\left(\frac{\pi}{24d^2} +\frac{\pi}{24(L-d)}\right)[/itex] which works out perfectly to give the force being [itex]\frac{\pi}{24d^2}[/itex] when you move the third plate to infinity away.

But I just can't figure out why I added the energy densities in my notes? Thank you in advance!

Maybe this isn't the best analogy but ...

Consider a window in your house. What happens if you take into account air pressure in the room, and you neglect air pressure outside?

1. What is the Casimir Effect?

The Casimir Effect is a physical phenomenon in which two uncharged, parallel plates in a vacuum attract each other due to quantum fluctuations in the surrounding electromagnetic field.

2. How is the Casimir Effect derived?

The Casimir Effect is derived using quantum field theory, specifically the theory of quantized electromagnetic fields and their interactions with matter. This involves calculating the energy density of the vacuum between the plates and the energy density of the vacuum outside the plates, and then taking the difference to determine the attractive force.

3. What is the importance of the Casimir Effect in physics?

The Casimir Effect is important because it provides evidence for the existence of quantum fluctuations and their impact on the physical world. It also has practical applications, such as in nanotechnology and the development of new technologies for manipulating electromagnetic fields.

4. How was the Casimir Effect first discovered?

The Casimir Effect was first predicted by Dutch physicist Hendrik Casimir in 1948. He calculated the attractive force between two parallel plates in a vacuum based on the idea of zero-point energy, which is the lowest possible energy that a quantum mechanical physical system may have.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Casimir Effect?

Yes, the Casimir Effect has been observed and utilized in various ways. For example, it has been used in the development of microelectromechanical systems (MEMS) and nanotechnology, as well as in the design of new types of sensors and actuators. It also has potential applications in quantum computing and energy harvesting technologies.