Induced drag relation with speed

Owells
Hi everyone. I was wondering if you guys could explain me why I saw people say that:
Induced drag changes for a factor of 1/V2
Induced drag coefficient for a factor of 1/V4

If I don't make any mistakes, Drag = 1/2 rho * S * V² * Cd.

Manipulating the formula I find, 1/Cd = 1/2 rho * S * V² * Drag so here we can see that Cd inversely proportional to V², not V⁴.
And I still find that Drag is proportional to V² so why it's different with Induced Drag and Cdi ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The drag coefficient doesn't change with speed. It includes everything that influences drag EXCEPT density, some predefined reference area, and speed.

Yes, maybe I misspoke, I know that drag is influenced by the design of the airfoil ect but let's pretend that we study an airfoil, I learnt that the drag formula was the same that the lift formula. So I don't understand why Induced drag change for a factor of 1/V² and why Cdi for a factor of 1/V⁴

Owells said:
... so why it's different with Induced Drag and Cdi ...
There are two different forms of drag mechanism.

The profile drag is due to airflow passing the wing, that also generates lift.

The induced drag is due to airflow around the wingtip, the end of the wing. That unwanted flow is normally from below the wing, to above the wing.

I understand better now.

The induced drag ##F_{di}## is ##\frac{1}{2} \rho C_{di}A_i v^2##. We already said ##C_{di}## includes everything that influences the drag force but ##\rho A_i## and speed. The lift force influences the induced drag force. No lift force, no induced drag force. Double the lift, you will [approximately] double the induced drag force. If this is what we observed then ##C_{di}## is proportional to the lift force ##\frac{1}{2}\rho C_L A_L v^2## or:
$$F_{di} = \frac{1}{2} \rho \left(C_{di*} \frac{1}{2}\rho C_L A_L v^2\right) A_i v^2$$
$$F_{di} = \frac{1}{4} \rho^2 C_{di*} C_L A_L A_iv^4$$
Where ##C_{di*}## is a coefficient including everything that is affecting the induced drag force excluding the lift coefficient, reference areas, density, and speed.

jack action said:
The drag coefficient doesn't change with speed.
In general it does, but there are problems where we neglect this.

Likes erobz

1. What is induced drag and how is it related to speed?

Induced drag is a type of aerodynamic drag on an aircraft, primarily caused by the generation of lift. It is inversely related to speed, meaning that as the speed of the aircraft increases, the induced drag decreases. This occurs because higher speeds generate more lift per unit of wing area, allowing the aircraft to fly with a smaller angle of attack, which reduces the lift-induced drag.

2. Why does induced drag decrease as speed increases?

The decrease in induced drag with increased speed is due to the efficiency of generating lift at higher speeds. At higher speeds, the wings of an aircraft can produce the necessary lift with a smaller angle of attack. A smaller angle of attack reduces the amount of air deflected downwards by the wing, which in turn reduces the vortex strength at the wingtips and consequently lowers the induced drag.

3. How does induced drag affect fuel efficiency in aircraft?

Induced drag significantly impacts fuel efficiency, especially during takeoff and landing when it is at its highest due to lower speeds and higher angles of attack required to maintain lift. Reducing induced drag through design optimizations like winglets or operational strategies like flying at optimal altitudes and speeds can help improve fuel efficiency by minimizing the power required to overcome this drag.

4. Can induced drag be eliminated completely?

No, induced drag cannot be completely eliminated as long as an aircraft is generating lift. However, it can be minimized through aerodynamic improvements and efficient flight operations. Techniques such as optimizing wing design, using winglets, and adjusting flight paths and speeds are commonly employed to reduce the effects of induced drag.

5. How do winglets affect induced drag?

Winglets are vertical extensions at the wingtips of an aircraft designed to reduce induced drag. They work by decreasing the strength of wingtip vortices, which are a major contributor to induced drag. Winglets do this by redirecting the airflow around the wingtip, reducing the pressure differences between the upper and lower surfaces of the wing, thereby improving overall aerodynamic efficiency and reducing drag.