Help with finding Normal Force of inclined plane

In summary, the problem involves a 250-kg crate on a rough ramp inclined at 30° above the horizontal with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.22. A horizontal force of 5000 N is applied to the crate, and the question is what is the acceleration of the crate. Relevant equations include F=ma and F_k=U_kn. The correct solution involves finding the normal force, which may be calculated using Fsin(30) +mgcos(30).
Bob Johnson
So this is the problem:
A 250-kg crate is on a rough ramp, inclined at 30° above the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the crate and ramp is 0.22. A horizontal force of 5000 N is applied to the crate, pushing it up the ramp. What is the acceleration of the crate?

Relevant Equations: F = ma, F_k=U_kn

I did it, but my answer was 13.23 m/s^2. This was from (5000 - 2450*sin(30) - 0.22(2450)cos(30))/250.

I think I messed up my normal force calculation, which was 250*9.8 cos(30). I looked online, and other people said normal force was equal to Fsin(30) +mgcos(30), which doesn't make sense to me. If possible could someone walk me through finding the normal force?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution would be correct if the 5000 N force is applied parallel to the inclined plane. But, it is actually applied horizontally. Be sure to draw a good free body diagram.

1. What is the formula for calculating Normal Force on an inclined plane?

The formula for calculating Normal Force on an inclined plane is N = mgcosθ, where N is the normal force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of inclination.

2. How do you find the angle of inclination on an inclined plane?

The angle of inclination on an inclined plane can be found using the tangent ratio, θ = tan^-1(h/l), where h is the height of the inclined plane and l is the length of the base.

3. What is the significance of Normal Force on an inclined plane?

The Normal Force on an inclined plane is the force exerted by the surface of the inclined plane on the object perpendicular to the surface. It is important because it balances out the force of gravity acting on the object, allowing it to remain at rest or in motion with constant velocity.

4. How does the weight of the object affect the Normal Force on an inclined plane?

The weight of an object affects the Normal Force on an inclined plane because the greater the weight of the object, the greater the normal force needs to be in order to balance out the force of gravity and keep the object at rest or in motion with constant velocity.

5. Can the Normal Force be greater than the weight of the object on an inclined plane?

Yes, the Normal Force can be greater than the weight of the object on an inclined plane. This can happen when the angle of inclination is steep enough that the force of gravity acting on the object is less than the normal force needed to keep it at rest or in motion with constant velocity.