Help with finite heat release analysis

In summary: I've been looking around and haven't gotten very far with the integration, but I'll try the computer technique.
Jason Louison
https://www.engr.colostate.edu/~allan/thermo/page8/page8.html

The link above takes you to a site I have found to be very helpful in my studies of the Otto cycle, but on this particular page, it depicts an equation for the rate of change of cylinder Pressure vs. crank angle, and in this particular equation, cylinder pressure itself is also a variable... or is it? They say that this equation will effectively solve the equation for cylinder pressure vs crank angle, but the first thing that perplexed me was that cylinder pressure was a variable in its own derivative, and second, how would someone go about deriving an actual equation for cylinder pressure vs crank angle from this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
That is called a differential equation. You solve it using integration to get pressure as a function of time. Do you have any background in calculus and differential equations?

anorlunda said:
That is called a differential equation. You solve it using integration to get pressure as a function of time. Do you have any background in calculus and differential equations?

Yes, but how do I solve for pressure if pressure is its own variable in the differential equation?

Jason Louison said:
Yes, but how do I solve for pressure if pressure is its own variable in the differential equation?

I sounds like you didn't understand my answer from #2. May I suggest the following link as an excellent source for you to teach yourself the answers to your questions.

https://www.khanacademy.org/math/differential-equations

anorlunda said:
I sounds like you didn't understand my answer from #2. May I suggest the following link as an excellent source for you to teach yourself the answers to your questions.

https://www.khanacademy.org/math/differential-equations

IMG_3803.JPG
IMG_3804.JPG

I understand completely, what I DON'T understand is how are we going to integrate an equation for cylinder pressure if the differential equation is DEPENDENT ON CYLINDER PRESSURE??

Jason Louison said:
View attachment 208254View attachment 208255

I understand completely, what I DON'T understand is how are we going to integrate an equation for cylinder pressure if the differential equation is DEPENDENT ON CYLINDER PRESSURE??

That is absolutely ordinary in differential equations. You need to study solution methods to solve equations involving both P and dP/dt.

There is also the digital simulation method. Start at time 0, given initial P, calculate dP/dt with the equation. Then set P=P+E*(dP/dt) where E is constant representing a very small time increment. That gives you the value for P at t=E seconds. Then repeat the whole procedure again and again until you get tired. You will have a series of numbers which are the values of P for each instant in time. Just be sure to choose E small enough. That's hard using pencil and paper, but it is trivially easy using a computer.

anorlunda said:
That is absolutely ordinary in differential equations. You need to study solution methods to solve equations involving both P and dP/dt.

There is also the digital simulation method. Start at time 0, given initial P, calculate dP/dt with the equation. Then set P=P+E*(dP/dt) where E is constant representing a very small time increment. That gives you the value for P at t=E seconds. Then repeat the whole procedure again and again until you get tired. You will have a series of numbers which are the values of P for each instant in time. Just be sure to choose E small enough. That's hard using pencil and paper, but it is trivially easy using a computer.

I've been looking around and haven't gotten very far with the integration, but I'll try the computer technique.

1. What is finite heat release analysis?

Finite heat release analysis is a method used to analyze the behavior of a material or system when subjected to a specific amount of heat over a finite period of time. It involves measuring the temperature changes and thermal properties of the material or system to understand its thermal behavior.

2. Why is finite heat release analysis important?

Finite heat release analysis is important because it allows scientists to understand how a material or system behaves under different thermal conditions. This information can be used to improve the design and performance of various products and processes, such as engines, power plants, and thermal insulation materials.

3. What are the steps involved in finite heat release analysis?

The steps involved in finite heat release analysis typically include selecting a sample or system to be tested, applying a controlled amount of heat to the sample, measuring temperature changes and other thermal properties, and analyzing the data to understand the behavior of the material or system under the given thermal conditions.

4. What types of materials or systems can be analyzed using finite heat release analysis?

Finite heat release analysis can be applied to a wide range of materials and systems, including solids, liquids, and gases. It is commonly used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and energy to analyze the thermal properties of various materials and systems.

5. Are there any limitations to finite heat release analysis?

Like any scientific method, finite heat release analysis also has its limitations. It may not accurately predict the behavior of a material or system under extreme or non-uniform thermal conditions. Additionally, the accuracy of the analysis depends on the quality of the data collected and the assumptions made during the analysis.