Help with first ever lab report.

In summary, the conversation revolves around formatting a lab report for a chemistry course. The speaker is seeking advice on where to include information about comparing experimental density with literature values and answering lab questions. It is suggested to include this information in the discussion section of the report.
dontdisturbmycircles
Hello PF ;-).

I am writing my first lab report as I type and I need some help with the formatting. It's not a big deal but I lean on the side of being a perfectionist. I have a section at the front of my report titled 'Raw Data' and the data we collected in the lab is there. The next section is results... I am in the process of writing this now. This is for a chemistry ish course (behaviour of solids & fluids).

We had to determine the density of few substances. For the liquids the lab manual states that they want me to 'compare the experimental density of isopropanol with that found in the literature'. I have a copy of Perry's Chem Eng Handbook so I have the data, the problem is where do I fulfill this part of the lab assignment? Should it go in the results section along with the calculations? My gut feeling is no it should not, implications/discussion of/about the experiment should not go in the results section. Just the calculations and info as to how these calculations were derived.

Another question I am asked to answer is something along the lines of : 'When you add salt to water you don't change the volume unless you reach the critical concentration, because the na+ and Cl- ions fit between the H2O molecules. Using the experimental density of the NaCl solution, calculated the mass fraction and mol %..." Again.. where does this go in my report?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you create a section called "Lab questions" or "Questions & answers" and put the questions and answers there?

"For the liquids the lab manual states that they want me to 'compare the experimental density of isopropanol with that found in the literature'. "

I'd put it that part in with the discussion. It's up to you how you organise it, I do my discussion after results, so i can, well, discuss the results. Part of your discussion is going to be about how the experimental data compares with accepted values: you should already know whether or not you need to expand on this by talking about possible reasons for the deviation between values etc.

1. What is the purpose of a lab report?

The purpose of a lab report is to document and communicate the results of a scientific experiment or investigation. It provides a detailed description of the methods used, data collected, and analysis of the results. Lab reports also serve as a way for scientists to share their findings and contribute to the scientific community.

2. How should I format my lab report?

The format of a lab report may vary depending on the specific requirements of your instructor or scientific field. However, most lab reports include a title, introduction, methods, results, discussion, and conclusion sections. It is important to follow the specific guidelines provided to ensure your report is well-organized and meets the necessary criteria.

3. What should be included in the introduction section?

The introduction section of a lab report should provide background information on the experiment or investigation, including the purpose, objectives, and relevant scientific theories or concepts. It should also state the hypothesis or research question being tested and provide an overview of the methods used.

4. How do I present my data in the results section?

The results section should present your data in a clear and organized manner. This can be done through tables, graphs, or figures. Make sure to label and title each visual representation and include a description of the data in the text. It is also important to note any trends, patterns, or significant findings in the data.

5. What is the purpose of the discussion section?

The discussion section of a lab report allows you to interpret and analyze your results in relation to your hypothesis or research question. This is also where you can discuss any potential sources of error or limitations of the experiment. It is important to support your conclusions with evidence from your data and any relevant scientific literature.