Help with Homework Statement 1b: Elasticity & Pressure

In summary, the question involves calculating the average force and pressure on a window pane when 1000 hailstones with a mass of 0.5 g and speed of 10ms-1 strike it at a 45° angle. The answer for the elastic collision is 0.0833N for average force and 0.0833Pa for average pressure. In the case of the hailstones striking soft putty and becoming embedded, the change in momentum would be mv for one stone, resulting in a force of 0.0833N and a pressure of 0.0833Pa.
Vexysery
I need help on question 1b here,

Homework Statement

1. In a one-minute interval, 1000 hailstones, each of mass 0.5 g and speed 10ms-1, strike a
window pane of area 1m2 at an angle of 45°.
(a) If the collisions are elastic, calculate :
(i) the average force and
(ii) the average pressure on the window pane.

(b) How would your answer di ffer if, in Q1, instead of striking a window pane, the
hailstones strike soft putty and are embedded in it?

Homework Equations

Δρ = (mv) - (-mv) = 2mv ? now it is not elastic = mv?
P = F/A = N/V (mv^2) = N/v ΔT A (mv^2) = N/ΔT (mv)
V = v ΔT A

The Attempt at a Solution

I worked out that the average force is 0.0833N and the average pressure is 0.0833Pa. I don't think the force changes at all, but the change of momentum obviously does as there is no rebound. I'm stuck with this and am not sure how to find out how it would change in ai) and aii)

Any help is very much appreciated! Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Vexysery said:
Δρ = (mv) - (-mv) = 2mv

Yes if collision is perfectly elastic.

Anybody help please? :)

For av F try to use Newton's 2nd law.

You already have the change in momentum of one particle.

I need help for question 1b, nothing else.

Thanks anyway!

If the stones get embedded in the putty one can assume that all the initial momentum becomes zero.

Hence change in momentum = mv for one stone, as you yourself said.

1. What is elasticity?

Elasticity is a measure of a material's ability to deform when subjected to a force and return to its original shape once the force is removed. In other words, it is a material's ability to stretch or compress and then bounce back to its original size.

2. How is elasticity related to pressure?

Pressure is the force applied per unit area of a surface. When a material is subjected to pressure, it creates a stress that causes the material to deform. The degree to which the material can deform is determined by its elasticity.

3. What factors affect elasticity?

There are several factors that can affect the elasticity of a material, including temperature, composition, and the presence of impurities or defects. Additionally, the type of force applied and the duration of the force can also impact the elasticity of a material.

4. How is elasticity measured?

Elasticity is typically measured using a quantity known as Young's modulus, which is the ratio of stress to strain in a material. This value is typically determined through experiments and can vary for different materials.

5. Why is understanding elasticity and pressure important?

Understanding the concepts of elasticity and pressure is crucial in many fields of science and engineering. It allows researchers and engineers to predict the behavior of materials under different conditions, which is essential in designing structures and creating new materials for various applications.