Help with identities math problem?

• Thread starter shocklightnin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    identities
In summary, identities in math are equations or expressions that are true for all values of the variables involved. To solve an identity, you need to manipulate the given equation using properties and rules of algebra. The purpose of identities in math is to simplify and manipulate equations, making it easier to solve complex problems and prove other mathematical statements. Some common identities include the distributive property, commutative and associative properties, and identity and inverse properties for addition and multiplication. Identities can also be used in other branches of math such as trigonometry and calculus, making them important tools for problem-solving in various fields.
shocklightnin
The question asks you to simplify sin(3pi/2+x).

I know that you've got to use the sin(a+b)=sinacosb+cosasinb

but I'm not sure how to solve it when it's not a special triangle.

Any help is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, figured out my silly mistake.

Hello, thank you for reaching out for help with this math problem. To simplify sin(3pi/2+x), we can use the identity sin(a+b) = sin(a)cos(b) + cos(a)sin(b) as you mentioned. In this case, a = 3pi/2 and b = x. So, sin(3pi/2+x) = sin(3pi/2)cos(x) + cos(3pi/2)sin(x).

Remember that sin(3pi/2) = -1 and cos(3pi/2) = 0. So, we can rewrite the expression as (-1)cos(x) + (0)sin(x).

Since anything multiplied by 0 is 0, the second term becomes 0. So, the simplified expression is -cos(x).

I hope this helps! If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Keep up the great work with your math studies.

Related to Help with identities math problem?

1. What are identities in math?

Math identities are equations or expressions that are true for all values of the variables involved. They involve basic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. How do I solve identities in math?

To solve an identity, you need to manipulate the given equation using properties and rules of algebra until it is simplified to a form that is identically equal to the other side of the equation. This can include expanding, factoring, and canceling terms.

3. What is the purpose of identities in math?

The purpose of identities in math is to help us simplify and manipulate equations, making it easier to solve complex problems. They also help us prove other mathematical statements and derive new equations.

4. What are some common identities in math?

Some common identities in math include the distributive property, the commutative and associative properties, the identity property for addition and multiplication, and the inverse property for addition and multiplication.

5. Can identities only be used in algebra?

No, identities can also be used in other branches of math such as trigonometry and calculus. They are important tools for simplifying equations and solving problems in various fields of mathematics.