Help with my post - Latex Error ....

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Error Latex
In summary, the conversation is about a user who encountered a Latex error in their post on the Analysis Forum. They were unsure of the cause of the error, specifically with the expression involving \gamma^'. Another user suggested replacing it with \gamma' and explained that the apostrophe symbol is automatically interpreted as a superscript in TeX. The original user then understood the cause of the error and thanked the other user for their help.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I have just completed a post in the Analysis Forum ... but unfortunately the post cntains a Latex eroor and I cannot determine what it is ...

The Latex expression that is the problem is \left\lvert \int_a^b \lvert \gamma^' (t) \rvert \ dt - \sum_{ k = 1 }^m \lvert \gamma^' ( \tau_k ) \rvert ( t_k - t_{ k - 1 } ) \right\rvert \lt \epsilon
It shows in the post as \displaystyle \left\lvert \int_a^b \lvert \gamma^' (t) \rvert \ dt - \sum_{ k = 1 }^m \lvert \gamma^' ( \tau_k ) \rvert ( t_k - t_{ k - 1 } ) \right\rvert \lt \epsilon Can someone please help me to find the error ...?

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I have just completed a post in the Analysis Forum ... but unfortunately the post cntains a Latex eroor and I cannot determine what it is ...

The Latex expression that is the problem is \left\lvert \int_a^b \lvert \gamma^' (t) \rvert \ dt - \sum_{ k = 1 }^m \lvert \gamma^' ( \tau_k ) \rvert ( t_k - t_{ k - 1 } ) \right\rvert \lt \epsilon
It shows in the post as \displaystyle \left\lvert \int_a^b \lvert \gamma^' (t) \rvert \ dt - \sum_{ k = 1 }^m \lvert \gamma^' ( \tau_k ) \rvert ( t_k - t_{ k - 1 } ) \right\rvert \lt \epsilon Can someone please help me to find the error ...?

Peter

OK ... I solved the problem ...

I replaced \gamma^' with \gamma' ...

... ... I was just suspicious ...BUT ... what actually is wrong with \gamma^' ... ... ?Peter

Peter said:
OK ... I solved the problem ...

I replaced \gamma^' with \gamma' ...

... ... I was just suspicious ...BUT ... what actually is wrong with \gamma^' ... ... ?Peter
In TeX, the apostrophe symbol is automatically interpreted as a superscript. If you want to use it as a super-superscript, you need to enclose it in braces. Compare \gamma' and \gamma^{'}: ${}\ \gamma' \ \gamma^{'}$.

Opalg said:
In TeX, the apostrophe symbol is automatically interpreted as a superscript. If you want to use it as a super-superscript, you need to enclose it in braces. Compare \gamma' and \gamma^{'}: ${}\ \gamma' \ \gamma^{'}$.

Oh! OK ... understand...

... thanks Opalg ...

Peter

1. What is a Latex Error and why am I getting it?

A Latex Error is an error message that appears when there is a problem with the code in your post. It can occur for a variety of reasons such as missing or incorrect syntax, incompatible packages, or incomplete code. It is important to carefully review the error message to identify the specific issue and make the necessary corrections.

2. How can I fix a Latex Error in my post?

The first step in fixing a Latex Error is to carefully review the error message and identify the specific issue. Once you have identified the problem, you can make the necessary corrections to your code. This may involve adding missing syntax, removing conflicting packages, or completing incomplete code. It may also be helpful to refer to online resources or consult with other Latex users for assistance.

3. Can I prevent Latex Errors from occurring in my posts?

While it is not always possible to prevent Latex Errors, there are steps you can take to minimize their occurrence. These include using a text editor with syntax highlighting, double-checking your code for errors before compiling, and regularly updating your Latex packages. It is also important to carefully proofread your code before posting to ensure it is error-free.

4. Is there a specific format for writing Latex code in my post?

While there is no strict format for writing Latex code in your post, it is important to follow common conventions for readability and consistency. This includes using proper indentation, grouping related code together, and commenting your code to explain its purpose. It may also be helpful to use a template or style guide to ensure your code follows a consistent format.

5. Can I get help with my Latex Error from other users?

Yes, there are many online communities and forums where you can seek help from other Latex users. These include sites such as Stack Exchange, Reddit, and Latex forums. When seeking help, be sure to provide a clear and concise description of the issue, along with the relevant code and error message. This will help others to better understand and assist with your problem.