Help With Programming: Get Started Now!

• Thread starter jbmiller
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Programming
In summary, someone recommends that because they are starting with Python, they should also start with a book called "Python for You". They also mention that they already have everything they need downloaded and that their mother would be upset if they told her that they needed a different book. They suggest trying online tutorials if you're struggling.
jbmiller
Hey everyone,

Sorry if I seem somewhat repetitive about this, but I need help with getting started. I feel really dumb because I've asked questions somewhat similar to this.

Ok, where do I even start with programming. I bought a book from Amazon, which says I need a "text editor" and a "complier". Alot of people have told me that I should download microsoft visual studio, and listening to their advice, I did.

From there I have no clue what to do. I'm tempted to just give up C and start back up again with Python. Since to me it seems much simpler to get started. I already have everything I need downloaded and the website comes with nifty tutorials. The only problem with this is that I already bought a book from Amazon, but prior to that I bought the Python book and sent it back telling my mom that it would be better to start with C. Now I don't know about you guys, but my mom would be pretty upset if I walked up to her telling her that I now need a python book. Not to mention that I would make a complete fool of myself...

My final goal is to program with Matlab. Regardless of which language I start with I would want my second language to be Matlab.

Thanks for the replies.

Technology news on Phys.org
I code C using CodeBlocks. It's an editor and compiler and will do what you need easily if you're using Windows.

Pengwuino said:
I code C using CodeBlocks. It's an editor and compiler and will do what you need easily if you're using Windows.

http://www.codeblocks.org/downloads/26

Which one should I download?

codeblocks-10.05-setup.exe
codeblocks-10.05mingw-setup.exe

Grab the second one.

Alright, thanks for the help. I really needed it.

Related to Help With Programming: Get Started Now!

What is programming?

Programming is the process of creating computer software by writing and designing code. It involves using programming languages to give instructions to a computer in order to perform specific tasks or solve problems.

Why do I need help with programming?

Programming can be a complex and challenging task, especially for beginners. It requires a deep understanding of programming concepts and languages, as well as problem-solving skills. Getting help with programming can save you time and frustration, and help you learn more effectively.

How can I get started with programming?

To get started with programming, you can begin by learning the basics of a programming language, such as syntax and data types. It's also important to practice regularly and work on projects to apply your skills. There are also many online resources and courses available to help you learn programming.

What are the most important programming languages to learn?

The most important programming languages to learn depend on your interests and goals. Some popular and widely used languages include Java, Python, C++, and JavaScript. It's also helpful to learn the fundamentals of programming, as many languages share common concepts.

How can I improve my programming skills?

To improve your programming skills, it's important to practice regularly and work on challenging projects. You can also read books, take online courses, and learn from more experienced programmers. Additionally, seeking feedback and being open to learning new techniques and languages can help you improve as a programmer.