Help with Prototype: Find Cooling Fans for Solar-Powered Box

In summary: Depends on the size of the cooler you need. In summary, the conversation is about designing a cooling box run by solar panels and a battery backup. Due to limited surface area for solar panels, the cooling module needs to be small and not consume too much power. The person is looking for cooling fans, specifically 12V or 24V, similar to those used in cars and RVs. They have tried a Google Images search and are now considering using a heat sink and peltier device. The conversation ends with potential suggestions for purchasing these items.
dkMountainGoat
I am currently working on a prototype for a new product.

Whithout exposing the product to much it is simply put a cooling box run by solar panels with a battery backup.

Due to the fact that the surface area available for solar panels is limited the cooling module needs to be quite small and not comsume to much power.

Does anyone know where I would be able to find cooling fans like the kind used in 12V coolers for cars and RV's? 24V would also work.

Any help is received with much appreciation!

Regards,

dkMountainGoat

Engineering news on Phys.org
dkMountainGoat said:
I am currently working on a prototype for a new product.

Whithout exposing the product to much it is simply put a cooling box run by solar panels with a battery backup.

Due to the fact that the surface area available for solar panels is limited the cooling module needs to be quite small and not comsume to much power.

Does anyone know where I would be able to find cooling fans like the kind used in 12V coolers for cars and RV's? 24V would also work.

Any help is received with much appreciation!

Regards,

dkMountainGoat

Welcome to the PF.

I did a Google Images search on 12V Fan, and got lots of good hits. Maybe try that to look for the style of fan you have in mind... :-)

First design the air flow path to operate as a convective thermal siphon. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermosiphon
If it needs more flow then use a small fan.

I did a Google Images search on 12V Fan, and got lots of good hits. Maybe try that to look for the style of fan you have in mind... :-)

Thanks a bunch, I have tried this approach but seem to just find air flow fans. What I am searching is a fan with a cooling aggregate :)

Last edited by a moderator:
what is a "cooling aggregate"? Do you mean a heat sink?

russ_watters said:
what is a "cooling aggregate"? Do you mean a heat sink?

Yes I mean a heat sink. Sorry for the bad translation ;). I have been looking into peltier thermo electric coolers with a heatsink and a fan on each side. I then came to think of the small 12V coolers for cars and these use the same. I am just having a hard time locating these without having to buy a cooler and destroy just to get the cooling module.

I hope this clarifies what I am searching.

Regards.

You can buy both heat sinks and peltier devices on amazon or at pretty much any computer store.

Incidentally, I actually have a 12V peltier car/camp cooler disassembled on my kitchen table right now.

Would a computer/laptop heat sink and fan combo work? they can be pretty small...not sure since you do not wish to provide dimensions for obvious reasons.

Yes, they can be pretty small or they can be up to 120x120mm, and support a peltier up to 150W or so.

1. How do I determine the appropriate size and type of cooling fan for my solar-powered box?

The size and type of cooling fan needed for a solar-powered box will depend on several factors, including the size of the box, the amount of heat generated by the components inside, and the desired cooling efficiency. It is important to consult with a technical expert or refer to the specifications of the box and its components to determine the appropriate fan size and type.

2. Can I use any type of cooling fan for my solar-powered box?

No, it is important to use a cooling fan specifically designed for use in a solar-powered box. These fans are typically low-power and energy-efficient, making them suitable for use with solar panels. Using a regular cooling fan may not provide the necessary cooling or may consume too much power, which can affect the overall performance of the box.

3. How many cooling fans do I need for my solar-powered box?

The number of cooling fans needed for a solar-powered box will depend on the size and heat output of the box and its components. It is recommended to have at least one fan to provide adequate cooling, but more may be necessary for larger or hotter boxes. It is important to consider the power consumption of multiple fans and ensure that the solar panel can provide enough power to run them.

4. What are the best cooling fan placement and orientation for a solar-powered box?

The ideal placement and orientation of cooling fans in a solar-powered box will depend on several factors, such as the location of the components generating heat and the direction of air flow. In general, it is best to place fans near the hottest components and orient them to draw air in from one side and exhaust it out the other side. It may also be beneficial to have multiple fans to ensure proper air circulation.

5. Are there any maintenance or cleaning requirements for cooling fans in a solar-powered box?

Yes, it is important to regularly check and clean the cooling fans in a solar-powered box to ensure they are functioning properly. Dust and debris can build up on the fan blades and hinder their effectiveness. It is also important to ensure that the fans are not obstructed by any other components or wiring inside the box. Regular maintenance can help prolong the lifespan of the fans and keep the box running efficiently.