Need wiring help for mini solar panel to fan

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of wiring a solar panel to a 12v fan. The individual initially believes that connecting the panel directly to the fan will work, but it doesn't. They are seeking help and understanding from others, and provide the specifications of the panel and fan. They also mention the possibility of using a rechargeable battery for the fan to run on hot nights. The conversation then moves on to discussing the necessary components for the project, including a schottky diode, electrolytic capacitor, dc/dc converter, and more. The individual also shares a link to a DIY guide they found. Another individual responds by suggesting connecting the panel directly to the fan, but the original poster explains that they have already tried
sspark
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me wire up a solar panel to a 12v fan. At first i thought it would work if you were to hook up the solar panel straight to the fan but it didn't. I'm not much of an EE, but i ask for anyone's help and understanding.

What i have is:

**Sunforce 50012 1.8 Watt Solar Battery Maintainer as the solar panel.
Max Output 1.8 Watts.

**A 12v computer fan.
Operating Voltage 8-14v
Current Draw 0.24A
Power Consumption 2.88w
Bearings FDB, fluid dynamic bearings

This will be installed on our dog house just to keep her cool on the hotter days. Possibly make it spin faster as more sun shines on it? I only need it to run when the sun is out, maybe i can have a rechargable battery connected to it to run on hot nights?

I've researched this online and can across a DIY site that tells me i need:

a schottky diode
Electrolytic capacitor
dc/dc converter
rechargable aa batteries
8-pin socket
120 uH inductor
pc board
pv cell
12v fan.

The problem i have is that their solar panel is completely different and if that was so, the specific type of chips/resistors/diodes would be different as well.

Can someone help me what exactly it is that i need to get to get this fan to spin? Here is the link to the DIY I've found. http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Amazing-Solar-Powered-Fan-A-Green-Gadget/#

Thanks for your help.

Sam

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
There's no reason not to conenct directly to the fan.
The panel probably puts out about 13.5-14V so the 12V DC fan will work fine.

Using it with the car battery isn't too much more difficult, if the panel has a diode builtin (probably has if intended to charge cars) just connect it to a 12V car battery (or a lead acid backup battery from an alarm system) and connect the fan across the same battery. An inline 500mA fuse might be a good idea and make sure that nothing can short the battery terminals - like rainwater or a dog's hind leg!

Hello, and thanks for your reply..

I just added the specs of the fan and panel above..

I tried connecting the panel directly to the fan but it doesn't move at all, not even a little ummphhh..

I'll also keep in mind the inline fuse! thanks for the tip! :)

If the panel is 1.8W @ 12V it's only putting out about 120mA, you listed the fan as needing 240mA. You're going to need a bigger panel (or 2 in parallel) - or a smaller fan.

1. How do I wire a mini solar panel to a fan?

First, determine the voltage and current requirements of your fan. Then, connect the positive (+) and negative (-) terminals of the solar panel to the corresponding terminals on the fan. If the solar panel's voltage is higher than the fan's, use a voltage regulator to bring it down to the appropriate level. Finally, connect the solar panel's output wires to a charge controller and then to a battery to store excess energy.

2. Can I use any type of wire for the connection?

It is important to use wires that are rated for outdoor use and can handle the voltage and current of the solar panel. Copper wires with a gauge between 14-18 are typically suitable for low voltage solar panel systems.

3. How do I know if the solar panel is producing enough power for the fan?

You can use a multimeter to measure the voltage and current output of the solar panel. Make sure it is producing enough voltage to meet the fan's requirements. You can also use a wattmeter to determine the power output, which should be equal to or greater than the power required by the fan.

4. Do I need to use a charge controller?

Yes, a charge controller is necessary to prevent overcharging the battery and damaging the solar panel. It regulates the flow of energy from the solar panel to the battery, ensuring that the battery is charged safely and efficiently.

5. Can I connect multiple fans to one solar panel?

Yes, you can connect multiple low-power fans to one solar panel as long as the panel's voltage and current output is sufficient to power all of them. However, it is important to properly size the wires and use a charge controller to avoid overloading the system.