Help with radiant intensity, spectral intensity, etc....

• A
  • Thread starter drod31
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Intensity
In summary: Stefan-Boltzmann Law and solve for T:T = (E/σ)^1/42. Spectral Intensity [W sr-1 m-1]: This is the amount of radiant energy emitted by the object at a specific wavelength and in a given direction. To calculate the temperature, we can use Planck's Law and solve for T:T = (hc/kλln(B(λ,T)/E))^1/43. Radiance [W sr-1 m-2]: This is the total amount of radiant energy emitted by the object in a given direction and at a specific wavelength. To calculate the temperature, we can use the combination of Planck's Law and Wien's
drod31
Hello Everybody,

I'm having issues defining a set of equations that calculates the Temperature of a black body object when provided with one of the following:

• Radiant Intensity [W sr-1]
  • Spectral Intensity [W sr-1 m-1]
  • Radiance [W sr-1 m-2]
  • Spectral Radiance [W sr-1 m-3]
  • Irradiance Flux Density [W m-2]
  • Spectral Irradiance [W / m-3]
To provide further insight into why I'm looking for this:

The goals is to define a temperature profile of a rocket during its trajectory. If I assume the detector is far enough that the rocket can be considered a point source how can I find the temp profile when given intensities/radiance/etc. at each time step?

Also worth mentioning... at the moment I'm not accounting for atmospheric changes.

I can get the temperature pretty easy when the spectral irradiance is provided (based on online literature).

Any sources that provide examples would be great!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your question with the scientific community. Calculating the temperature of a black body object can be a complex task, but I will do my best to provide some guidance and sources for further information.

Firstly, it is important to note that the temperature of a black body object is directly related to its radiance, which is the amount of electromagnetic radiation emitted from the object in a given direction. This means that by knowing the radiance, we can calculate the temperature of the object.

To begin, let's define some terms and equations that will be useful in your calculations:

1. Stefan-Boltzmann Law: This law states that the total radiant emittance of a black body is proportional to the fourth power of its absolute temperature. It can be expressed as:

E = σT^4

Where E is the total radiant emittance, σ is the Stefan-Boltzmann constant (5.67 x 10^-8 W m^-2 K^-4), and T is the absolute temperature.

2. Planck's Law: This law describes the spectral radiance of a black body at a given wavelength and temperature. It can be expressed as:

B(λ,T) = (2hc^2/λ^5) x (1/(e^(hc/λkT) - 1))

Where B(λ,T) is the spectral radiance, h is the Planck constant (6.626 x 10^-34 J s), c is the speed of light (3.00 x 10^8 m/s), λ is the wavelength, k is the Boltzmann constant (1.38 x 10^-23 J/K), and T is the absolute temperature.

3. Wien's Displacement Law: This law states that the peak wavelength of the spectral radiance of a black body is inversely proportional to its temperature. It can be expressed as:

λmax = b/T

Where λmax is the peak wavelength, b is Wien's displacement constant (2.90 x 10^-3 m K), and T is the absolute temperature.

Now, to answer your specific question, we can use the equations above to calculate the temperature of a black body object when provided with different types of intensity or radiance data.

1. Radiant Intensity [W sr-1]: This is the total amount of radiant energy emitted by the object in a given direction. To calculate the temperature, we

1. What is radiant intensity?

Radiant intensity is a measure of the amount of radiant energy emitted from a source in a specific direction per unit solid angle. It is expressed in watts per steradian (W/sr).

2. How is radiant intensity different from spectral intensity?

While radiant intensity measures the amount of energy emitted in a specific direction, spectral intensity measures the amount of energy emitted at a specific wavelength. Spectral intensity is commonly expressed in watts per steradian per nanometer (W/sr/nm).

3. What is the relationship between radiant intensity and spectral intensity?

Radiant intensity and spectral intensity are related by the spectral distribution of the source. While the radiant intensity remains constant, the spectral intensity will vary depending on the source's spectral distribution.

4. How are radiant intensity and luminous intensity related?

Radiant intensity measures the amount of energy emitted from a source, while luminous intensity measures the perceived brightness of a source. They are related by the luminous efficacy, which is the ratio of perceived brightness to radiant intensity.

5. How can I measure radiant and spectral intensity?

Radiant and spectral intensity can be measured using specialized instruments such as spectroradiometers or radiometers. These instruments measure the amount of energy emitted from a source at different wavelengths, allowing for the calculation of both radiant and spectral intensity.