Help with reducing AC Mains voltage sag at large chiller motor startup

In summary: I can conceive of a similar function with autotransformers but best get a schematic of what exists before further speculation.
kenneth edmiston
A 4160v chiller motor is drawing too much power at start-up. Utility company only let's them run it once or twice a year because of it. It dims all the lights etc.. It was originally a primary reactor starter (2 contactors). The PR was replaced with an auto-xfmr and wired the same. So now it’s a series auto-xfmr with no shorting contactor. The xfmr is fed, the secondary output supplies the motor at start-up, then a bypass or run contactor pulls in. So the xfmr is not shorted or disconnected from the circuit.

What could be causing the voltage dip on the source, or why is it causing it?

And why does a 3-phase auto xfmr need a shorting contactor? What does connecting the windings do besides dissipate the energy in the winding, and what does leaving them open do?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
kenneth edmiston said:
A 4160v chiller motor is drawing too much power at start-up.

4000+ V motor ??
surely a typo

No sir. It’s a 4160v 3-phase wye motor. They are common

Likes davenn
kenneth edmiston said:
what could be causing the voltage dip on the source, or why is it causing it?

Motors draw several time rated current during startup. See
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/locked-rotor-code-d_917.html

upload_2018-3-15_17-2-19.png

The source is not "stout" enough to hold up under your chiller's starting current.

What is the KVA code of your motor on its nameplate? And its horsepower ? How does that compare to the nameplate of your building's supply transformer ?

Somebody should have specified a motor with KVA code that's early in the alphabet.
In my Nuke plant Westinghouse did that for motors that have to start from our diesel generator. Little details make a big difference.

kenneth edmiston said:
And why does a 3-phase auto xfmr need a shorting contactor?
Without knowing how it's connected one can only speculate - to take it out of the circuit once motor has reached running speed, perhaps ?

old jim

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-15_17-2-19.png
    upload_2018-3-15_17-2-19.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 1,033
Likes Asymptotic
kenneth edmiston said:
No sir. It’s a 4160v 3-phase wye motor. They are common
WOW, OK ... way outside my field of expertise :eek::smile:

davenn said:
WOW, OK ... way outside my field of expertise :eek::smile:
You don't run across them at Home Depot.

Our boiler feed pumps were 4160 volt 7,000 horsepower. Size of a big storage shed.

Likes davenn
Sounds like a good application for a VFD. The utility would also like it if the motor was decelerated gradually when stopping instead of merely cutting power.

jim hardy said:
Our boiler feed pumps were 4160 volt 7,000 horsepower. Size of a big storage shed.
Pictures? :smile:

Likes davenn
berkeman said:
Pictures? :smile:

Something like this. I used to work next door to GE's Large Generator & Motor Factory. There are lots of those babies around.

smBRD12-097-1.jpg

Attachments

• smBRD12-097-1.jpg
    smBRD12-097-1.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 504
Likes Asymptotic, jim hardy and berkeman
anorlunda said:
Something like this.
Thanks ! I was looking in my archives... i don't have any of them opened up like that..

The roar standing next to one has to be experienced in person... as you well know.

Sounds like this was the initial configuration. The Primary Reactors limited the inrush current and after speed was obtained the Shorting Contactors close to supply full line voltage to the motor. I can conceive of a similar function with autotransformers but best get a schematic of what exists before further speculation.
Pri Reactor.png

Attachments

• Pri Reactor.png
    Pri Reactor.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 495
Likes Asymptotic
jim hardy said:
Motors draw several time rated current during startup. See
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/locked-rotor-code-d_917.html

View attachment 222064

The source is not "stout" enough to hold up under your chiller's starting current.

What is the KVA code of your motor on its nameplate? And its horsepower ? How does that compare to the nameplate of your building's supply transformer ?

Somebody should have specified a motor with KVA code that's early in the alphabet.
In my Nuke plant Westinghouse did that for motors that have to start from our diesel generator. Little details make a big difference.Without knowing how it's connected one can only speculate - to take it out of the circuit once motor has reached running speed, perhaps ?

old jim
Thanks Jim. I couldn’t find a good nameplate on the motor but it’s not an overly big motor. Main power fuses are around 100-120 amp fuses. I know I’m not giving

kenneth edmiston said:
Thanks Jim. I couldn’t find a good nameplate on the motor but it’s not an overly big motor. Main power fuses are around 100-120 amp fuses. I know I’m not giving
^Sorry I’m a newbie. Here’s my circuit. Only the reactor has been replaced with an auto-xfmr tapped at 80%

Attachments

• B392104B-FF9B-424C-B425-D0DDAC09A330.jpeg
    B392104B-FF9B-424C-B425-D0DDAC09A330.jpeg
    34.4 KB · Views: 593
Many years ago, I worked in a steel rolling mill. I'm pretty sure the drive motors for the mill were 4160 v, and pulled several thousand amps when starting. They were truly awe-inspiring.

The current draw was enough that it was measured by simply measuring the voltage difference between two pins about 1-1/2 inches apart embedded in the copper buss bars feeding the motors.

1. How can I reduce AC mains voltage sag during a large chiller motor startup?

To reduce AC mains voltage sag during a large chiller motor startup, you can use a soft starter or a variable frequency drive. These devices can limit the inrush current and gradually ramp up the motor's speed, preventing a sudden drop in voltage. Additionally, you can also install power factor correction capacitors to improve the power factor of your system, which can help reduce voltage sag.

2. What causes AC mains voltage sag during chiller motor startup?

AC mains voltage sag during chiller motor startup is caused by the high inrush current of the motor. When a motor starts up, it requires a large amount of current to overcome its initial inertia and begin rotating. This high inrush current can cause a voltage drop in the AC mains supply, leading to voltage sag.

3. Can voltage sag damage my chiller motor?

Yes, voltage sag can potentially damage your chiller motor. When the voltage drops below its rated value, the motor may not receive enough power to start and operate properly. This can cause overheating and premature wear and tear on the motor, leading to potential damage over time.

4. Is it necessary to address AC mains voltage sag for my chiller motor?

Yes, it is important to address AC mains voltage sag for your chiller motor. Not only can voltage sag potentially damage your motor, but it can also cause disruptions in your system, leading to downtime and decreased productivity. By taking steps to reduce voltage sag, you can ensure the smooth operation of your chiller motor and the overall efficiency of your system.

5. Are there any other methods to reduce AC mains voltage sag during chiller motor startup?

In addition to using soft starters, variable frequency drives, and power factor correction capacitors, you can also consider installing a voltage regulator or a voltage stabilizer. These devices can regulate the voltage supply to your chiller motor and prevent any sudden drops in voltage. It is important to consult with a professional to determine the best solution for your specific system and needs.