Help with rms speed of gas when molecules are doubled

In summary: K, the question asks for the final rms speed of an ideal gas kept in a container of constant volume and pressure, where the number of molecules is doubled and the initial rms speed is 1300m/s. The applicable equations are Vrms=sqrt[(3kT)/m] and PV=NkT. While there seem to be too many unknowns, the initial T can be expressed in terms of the other variables and if PV is kept constant and N is doubled, T decreases. Therefore, the final rms speed will also decrease, but the exact value cannot be determined without knowing the initial temperature.
lbumbalo

Homework Statement

An ideal gas is kept in a container of constant volume. The pressure of the gas is also kept constant. The number of molecules in the gas is doubled. If the initial rms speed is 1300m/s, what is the final rms speed?

Homework Equations

Vrms=sqrt[(3kT)/m]
PV=NkT

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to rework the above equations hoping I would find something but there seem to be too many unknowns. I know that you need to lower the temperature of the gas, but I'm not given the initial temp or the final, and I don't know the initial number of molecules. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
lbumbalo said:

Homework Statement

An ideal gas is kept in a container of constant volume. The pressure of the gas is also kept constant. The number of molecules in the gas is doubled. If the initial rms speed is 1300m/s, what is the final rms speed?

Homework Equations

Vrms=sqrt[(3kT)/m]
PV=NkT

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to rework the above equations hoping I would find something but there seem to be too many unknowns. I know that you need to lower the temperature of the gas, but I'm not given the initial temp or the final, and I don't know the initial number of molecules. Thanks
Express the initial T in terms of the other variables. If PV is kept constant and N is doubled, what happens to T?

AM

What is the definition of rms speed of gas?

The rms speed of a gas is the root mean square speed, which is the square root of the average of the squared speeds of the gas molecules in a given sample.

How is the rms speed of gas calculated?

The rms speed of gas is calculated using the formula: vrms = √(3RT/M), where R is the gas constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and M is the molar mass of the gas.

What happens to the rms speed of gas when the number of molecules is doubled?

If the number of molecules in the gas sample is doubled, the rms speed of the gas will remain the same. This is because the rms speed is only affected by the temperature and molar mass of the gas, not the number of molecules.

Does the rms speed of gas change with different types of gases?

Yes, the rms speed of gas will vary for different types of gases due to differences in their molar mass. Heavier gases will have a lower rms speed compared to lighter gases at the same temperature.

What is the significance of the rms speed of gas?

The rms speed of gas is an important concept in understanding the behavior of gases. It is used in various equations and formulas to calculate other properties of gases, such as pressure and kinetic energy. It also helps explain the distribution of speeds of gas molecules in a sample and the relationship between temperature and kinetic energy.