Help With Self-Biases JFET Amplifier

• Thread starter fys iks!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Amplifier
In summary, you could try reducing the voltage on the collector of the BJT transistor or adding a coupling capacitor between the JFET and BJT.
fys iks!
Hi,

I am designing a circuit where i first use a JFET transistor to a provide a voltage gain, the JFET is wired as a self bias. Following the JFET is a BJT transistor which i am using to provide a second amplification. I have an issue though with the output waveform of the JFET transistor. I am not sure why but the output waveform is an amplifier version of the input waveform, except it is also raised by a certain voltage so the sine wave oscillates about a positive voltage and not 0 V. The output of the BJT however oscillates about 0 V. How can i make the output of the JFET oscillate about 0 V?

Any help is appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
fys iks! said:
Hi,

I am designing a circuit where i first use a JFET transistor to a provide a voltage gain, the JFET is wired as a self bias. Following the JFET is a BJT transistor which i am using to provide a second amplification. I have an issue though with the output waveform of the JFET transistor. I am not sure why but the output waveform is an amplifier version of the input waveform, except it is also raised by a certain voltage so the sine wave oscillates about a positive voltage and not 0 V. The output of the BJT however oscillates about 0 V. How can i make the output of the JFET oscillate about 0 V?

Any help is appreciated.

The output of a BJT amplifier (at the collector) or the JFET amplifier (at the drain) should be about half of the supply voltage with no input signal. This is because you want the output to be able to swing upwards for a negative going input signal and downwards for a positively going input signal.

Note that this means the output is actually an inverted version of the input.

Both outputs can have this DC component removed by passing the output through a coupling capacitor with a resistor to ground on the other side of it.

If you have a bipolar transistor with near zero voltage on the collector, then it is being driven to saturation by having too much DC voltage on its input.
So, you may need a coupling capacitor between the two stages.

ok that sort of worked. I added a 100uF capacitor then after the capacitor a 1k resistor to ground. In doing this the first output waveform had no more DC voltage, but this also messed up my second output of the BJT network. Now then output from the BJT is just 0 V with negative peaks but no positive peaks. So basically a sine wave that is just 0 wherever there should be a positive voltage.

OK. A bipolar transistor has to have base current and this is supplied by having a resistor connected to the base and to a source of positive voltage.

This is one way to do it:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxjxeuORPOablgRM1wZpeTTgcsFKJR7YyYCMtaqcXhcWor3IRe3kh5GyRmxw.jpg

The resistor shown as Rb would be something like 150 K ohms.

You can adjust it by measuring the voltage on the collector. If this is less than half the supply voltage, then the resistor Rb is too small. If the voltage at the collector is more than half the the supply voltage, then the resistor Rb is too big.

Capacitors of about 10 μF maximum would be used in circuits like this. 100 μF is a bit too big.

Could you post your circuit? It is very difficult to give advice about a circuit based on what we think it is.

1. What is a self-biased JFET amplifier?

A self-biased JFET amplifier is a type of amplifier circuit that uses a single JFET (junction field-effect transistor) to amplify an input signal. The JFET is biased by a resistor connected between its gate and source terminals, allowing the amplifier to operate without the need for an external power supply.

2. How does a self-biased JFET amplifier work?

A self-biased JFET amplifier works by using the JFET's natural characteristics to amplify an input signal. When an input signal is applied to the JFET's gate, it causes a variation in the JFET's channel resistance, which in turn amplifies the signal. The bias resistor ensures that the JFET operates in its linear region, allowing for accurate amplification of the input signal.

3. What are the advantages of using a self-biased JFET amplifier?

One advantage of using a self-biased JFET amplifier is that it is a simple circuit, requiring only a single JFET and a bias resistor. This makes it a cost-effective solution for amplifying low-level signals. Additionally, the JFET's high input impedance allows for minimal loading of the input signal, making it suitable for use in high-impedance circuits.

4. What are the limitations of a self-biased JFET amplifier?

One limitation of a self-biased JFET amplifier is that it has a limited gain due to the JFET's natural characteristics. This may not be suitable for certain applications that require high levels of amplification. Additionally, the amplifier's performance may be affected by changes in temperature and JFET parameters.

5. How can I improve the performance of a self-biased JFET amplifier?

To improve the performance of a self-biased JFET amplifier, you can use multiple JFETs in parallel or in a cascode configuration. This can increase the overall gain and stability of the amplifier. Additionally, using JFETs with matched parameters can help to reduce the effects of temperature variations on the amplifier's performance.