Help with solution concentration

In summary: That would give a 10% solution of bleach (and 1% of active chlorine).In summary, the conversation is about making a 10% bleach solution to remove DNA contamination from equipment. The desired solution requires a concentration of 10% bleach, with 4.47g of active chlorine per 100ml of water. This translates to a 4.47% bleach solution, which is insufficient for the desired concentration. It is suggested to use standard household bleach and mix 1 volume with 9 volumes of water to achieve the desired 10% solution.
Noclue1
Hi I'm looking for some help that I think is easy but just can't get my head round.
So I need to make a solution with a concentration of 10% bleach to remove DNA contamination from equipment. So if I had 100ml of water I'd need 10ml of bleach to make a 10% solution. But it is the active chlorine in bleach that removes DNA so I'm trying to work out a calculation of how many ml of bleach I'd need if the active chlorine concentration within the bleach is 4.47g per 100ml. Can anyone advise how I work out the ml of beach needed to get 10% solution.
Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Noclue said:
Hi I'm looking for some help that I think is easy but just can't get my head round.
So I need to make a solution with a concentration of 10% bleach to remove DNA contamination from equipment. So if I had 100ml of water I'd need 10ml of bleach to make a 10% solution. But it is the active chlorine in bleach that removes DNA so I'm trying to work out a calculation of how many ml of bleach I'd need if the active chlorine concentration within the bleach is 4.47g per 100ml. Can anyone advise how I work out the ml of beach needed to get 10% solution.
Thanks.

Hi Noclue, welcome to MHB! ;)

If I'm not mistaken, a 4.47 g of active chlorine bleach per 100 ml of water, is a 4.47% bleach solution.
A typical household bleach is a 3–6% solution in water.
We can't get from there to 10% with just mixing.

It would help to see the actual text that you are trying to interpret. I would guess that "bleach" refers to standard household bleach and that they are saying to make a solution of 1 volume of household bleach added to 9 volumes of water.

1. What is solution concentration?

Solution concentration refers to the amount of solute (substance being dissolved) present in a given volume of solvent (liquid in which the solute is dissolved). It is typically expressed as the molarity (moles of solute per liter of solution) or the mass percentage (grams of solute per 100 grams of solution).

2. How is solution concentration measured?

Solution concentration can be measured using various methods such as titration, spectrophotometry, and gravimetric analysis. These techniques involve measuring the amount of solute or the change in a physical property of the solution, such as its color or density, to determine the concentration.

3. What factors can affect solution concentration?

The concentration of a solution can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the solubility of the solute. Changes in these factors can alter the amount of solute that can be dissolved in a given volume of solvent, thus affecting the overall concentration of the solution.

4. How is solution concentration important in scientific research?

Solution concentration is important in scientific research as it can impact the outcome of experiments and the interpretation of results. It is also used in various analytical techniques and is essential in preparing accurate and precise solutions for chemical reactions.

5. How can solution concentration be adjusted?

Solution concentration can be adjusted by adding more solute or solvent to the solution. This will change the amount of solute present in the solution and alter the overall concentration. Diluting a solution with more solvent will decrease the concentration, while adding more solute will increase the concentration.