Do You Call a Plumber if Washing Machine is Dripping Water in Tub?

In summary, two questions:1.) If you have a washing machine that is dripping water into the tub (no leaks outside that I can see), would that typically be a problem that plumbers are called for or some other sort of repair/handyman/technician?2.) Anyone know what's up with mine?The first question is not answered and the second question is not answered.
kyphysics
Two questions:

1.) If you have a washing machine that is dripping water into the tub (no leaks outside that I can see), would that typically be a problem that plumbers are called for or some other sort of repair/handyman/technician?

2.) Anyone know what's up with mine?

IT WAS WORKING FINE (no dripping), until I did a couple of extra wash/rinse/drain cycles with just water in the tub (no clothes) to get rid of any possible remaining residue from any earlier wash cycle.

CYCLE 1: I washed a full load of clothes with bleach (due to them getting extra grimey from yard and car work). Took them out and dried clothes. No noticeable dripping water.
CYCLE 2: I filled up the washer with water, but no clothes and let the machine run for a few seconds, before stopping the cycle and draining all the water out. No problems and no noticeable dripping of water into the tub.
CYCLE 3: This is where the problem started. Just to be EXTRA picky, I filled up the tub with water again (no clothes) and let the wash cycle run for a few seconds again before stopping it and draining all the water out. CYCLE 2 & 3 were just to "rinse" my machine, since I'd put bleach in there vs. normal detergent earlier. After stopping/draining CYCLE 3, however, I noticed that the "suction" of water out of the machine was taking forever. There was no noticeable water in the machine anymore and I figured it was just a glitch and unplugged the entire machine to stop the "sucking" sound and suction. I've done this before when the suction's run way longer than normal (I'm talking close to 10 minutes of running).

Normally, I press the "stop/cancel" button an extra time (on top of the first time I push it to stop/drain) before unplugging the machine, but this time I did not. I just yanked the power cord.

Everything stopped. When I plugged the cord back in, the suction started AGAIN and I think this is when water started dripping into the washing machine tub. I pressed the "stop/cancel" button to stop the suction and it stopped. However, the dripping water did not stop. ...It's continued. I tried starting up new cycles (just water - no clothes) and stopping/draining them and I've tried unplugging the power. NOTHING WILL STOP the dripping water going into my washing machine that just started up after CYCLE 3 today. It wasn't like this before CYCLE 3. Did not occur after CYCLE 1, nor CYCLE 2.

So, yeah...very weird! Only "good" part is that the dripping is minor.

Physics news on Phys.org
^^Wonders how I can have an unplugged washing machine, but water still continuously dripping into it?

Unplugging the electrical power to the machine isn’t going to do anything if the water intake valves aren’t closing completely. Also, a plumber very likely won’t be able to do anything for you. You’ll probably have to call an appliance repair person who can fix your washer.

Likes russ_watters and kyphysics
kyphysics said:
^^Wonders how I can have an unplugged washing machine, but water still continuously dripping into it?
Sounds like a leaky input valve. If it's not really an issue for you then just let it go until the valve fails completely and floods the whole room with water. THEN call a plumber.

EDIT: @TeethWhitener is correct. You won't need a plumber when the valve fails completely, you'll need an appliance repair person..

• Haha
Likes russ_watters, kyphysics and TeethWhitener
TeethWhitener said:
Unplugging the electrical power to the machine isn’t going to do anything if the water intake valves aren’t closing completely. Also, a plumber very likely won’t be able to do anything for you. You’ll probably have to call an appliance repair person who can fix your washer.
Any way to stop the water dripping in the meantime? I shall try to find a repair person earlier tomorrow morning. ...

phinds said:
Sounds like a leaky input valve. If it's not really an issue for you then just let it go until the valve fails completely and floods the whole room with water. THEN call a plumber.

EDIT: @TeethWhitener is correct. You won't need a plumber when the valve fails completely, you'll need an appliance repair person..
You're scaring me actually. So, this is definitely something that can get very bad?

I'm assuming you're serious about that part, even if "joking" about not caring and waiting until it floods the whole floor/house...

*definitely kind of scary*

My washing machine is connected to the hot and cold water via two flexible lines in back (hot and cold). There are spigot-type valves where they attach to the house. Turn them off. Call the appliance guy.

Likes berkeman and kyphysics
Hy, kyphysics!

I'm sleepless and recently switched the pc. I could do some talking with a experienced and familiar retailer, hiding it is not mine...
Water is scary, very scary to me... But is still a drop...

We're in touch

Likes kyphysics
Update:

I just checked since my last post in this thread and the water stopped dripping by itself. Very odd. I wonder if I should still call someone?

I wonder what could have caused the dripping for so long and then the sudden stopping of it. ...

Hi kiphysics!
I've got a very ancient fear to water, when it comes to circulate at home. I mean (I am with my mobile) water is something to be aware of when we talk of houses. I could talk even of my grandmother. She had troubles with neighbours, discussions, nerves...Let me do some talking. It means nothing to me... I won't even move to the store, a phonecall... Now is just curiosity. I won't lie the retailer. If you are still concerned...
Anyhow, greetings

Likes kyphysics
kyphysics said:
You're scaring me actually. So, this is definitely something that can get very bad?

I'm assuming you're serious about that part, even if "joking" about not caring and waiting until it floods the whole floor/house...

*definitely kind of scary*
I am serious about your needing to get it fixed but yes I was joking about a total failure of the valve ... very unlikely.

Likes russ_watters and kyphysics
mcastillo356 said:
Hy, kyphysics!

I'm sleepless and recently switched the pc. I could do some talking with a experienced and familiar retailer, hiding it is not mine...
Water is scary, very scary to me... But is still a drop...

We're in touch
Sure, let me know what you find out. I'd be happy to listen. Cheers! :smile:

• Love
Likes mcastillo356
The problem is most likely with one of the two internal valves that control the flow of cold and hot water into the washer.
Either a piece of debris got jammed between the seat and the plunge or the seat is worn.
In most cases, the problem comes back and the slow dripping persists.
You can close one or both of the isolation valves in the wall located behind the washer when not using the machine until the bad valve can be replaced.
If you leave the cloth to seat in the washer after the cycle ends, it will be too wet to move it into the dryer.

Likes hutchphd and russ_watters
Lnewqban said:
Either a piece of debris got jammed between the seat and the plunge or the seat is worn.
Seat. Plunge. Can you explain me? I mean, please, could you explain me? I don't get an image in my mind for this sentence.

mcastillo356 said:
Seat. Plunge. Can you explain me? I mean, please, could you explain me? I don't get an image in my mind for this sentence.
It is a regular solenoid valve.
The solenoid or electro-magnet, pulls a plunge when energized, which separates it from the seat, opening the flow to intake water.
A spring closes the valve when not energized.

Please, see:
https://matrixblades.com/2016/11/30/how-to-test-a-washing-machine-inlet-valve-solenoid/

http://www.appliance411.com/faq/test-water-valve.shtml

If you are afraid of accidental flooding, a damaged hose is the real danger of a catastrophic failure.
To prevent those events, there are commercial products to install at the shutt-off valves in the house wall.

Please, see:

Last edited:
Likes kyphysics and hutchphd
Lnewqban said:
If you are afraid of accidental flooding, a damaged hose is the real danger of a catastrophic failure.
To prevent those events, there are commercial products to install at the shutt-off valves in the house wall.
I'm not familiar with how to do such work (despite learning some home maintenance skills recently), so if I were to want a professional to do this (and/or look into the current situation more), would it be a plumber and/or washing machine repairmen do you think?

kyphysics said:
I'm not familiar with how to do such work (despite learning some home maintenance skills recently), so if I were to want a professional to do this (and/or look into the current situation more), would it be a plumber and/or washing machine repairmen do you think?
A washing machine technician or any appliances repair shop.

• Informative
Likes kyphysics
Hi kyphysics!
I've been at the retailer, shown Lnewqban video link, and is only said "it's a regulator". He was actually a technician. He's annoyed me, but if I had the same problem, I would call him. He is not a plumber.
Greetings!

1. Why is my washing machine dripping water in the tub?

There could be a few reasons why your washing machine is dripping water into the tub. It could be due to a damaged or loose hose, a faulty water inlet valve, or a clogged drain hose. It is best to call a plumber to properly diagnose and fix the issue.

2. Can I fix a dripping washing machine myself?

In some cases, you may be able to fix a dripping washing machine yourself. If the issue is a loose hose or a clogged drain hose, you may be able to tighten or unclog them yourself. However, if the issue is more complex, it is best to call a professional plumber to avoid causing further damage.

3. How much does it cost to repair a dripping washing machine?

The cost of repairing a dripping washing machine can vary depending on the cause of the issue. On average, it can cost anywhere from $150 to $500. However, it is best to get a quote from a plumber to get an accurate estimate.

4. Is a dripping washing machine a sign of a bigger problem?

In some cases, a dripping washing machine may be a sign of a bigger problem. It could indicate a plumbing issue, such as a clogged drain or a faulty water inlet valve. It is important to address the issue promptly to avoid any further damage to your washing machine.

5. How can I prevent my washing machine from dripping water in the tub?

To prevent your washing machine from dripping water in the tub, you should regularly check and clean the drain hose and water inlet valve. Make sure to also follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper maintenance of your washing machine. If the issue persists, it is best to call a plumber for further assistance.